Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting EVA grip
Rod Building > General Rod Building > Grips and Reel Seats
Gnossos
I made a fly rod for my granddaughter's 12th birthday, but her dad said she prefers spin fishing, so I decided to make her a spinning rod. Then I thought, what the heck, I'll make all the grandkids spinning rods. I've never done eva grips before so I reviewed things here on the site and read the section in Tom's book. Being reassured that EVA stretches, I bought 1/4" ID grips for blanks with 3/8" butt diameters. I found the spot on the blank where the grip starts to pinch, about 3 1/2 feet from the butt, applied 30 minute epoxy just above this area, brought the grip down, squiggled it around to coat the inside with epoxy and slid it toward the butt. About a foot. Using a block of wood on the floor and a heroic effort, I moved it down, about 8". Something told me I wasn't going to get it the 20" or so farther to the butt. Using my wood vise, I was able to get it off, cleaned up the blank with DNA and got most of the epoxy off with just a little paint.

I can ream the grip and get it to fit, though it won't be fun with hardened epoxy in there. What did I do wrong? Shouldn't this have worked? I fancied up the grip with a couple of colored foam rings, but cut the hole in them bigger than the ID of the grip in case they wouldn't stretch. Could that be the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Gnossos
Goduster
Very possibly the glue actualy pooled at the larger diameter rings, not letting it totally lubricate the inside of the grip. As far as inlarging it just run a 5/16 drill bit thru it as long as the front part of the blank where it will seat, is not smaller than the 5/16 bore.
then before you install it (and don't use any fast setting epoxy) take an old piece of blank and coat the inside of the grip with glue, then coat the blank with glue and with one non-stop motion grip it at the top and push down to install to the correct location. Then just wipe off all the excess off the blank
bellybuster

I followed the Mudhole video when I did an EVA grip. I did find that I couldn't get the grip quite as low as I wanted but very close. I see in the video he doesn't quite make his mark either.
I decided after 1 grip that I will never do another EVA grip. Just seems ridiculous to have to spread glue all over your blank like that.

EVA Grip Install
Gnossos
Ron,
Could it be the cured epoxy holding the decorative foam to the EVA that wouldn't stretch?
Bellybuster,
As a long time cork user, I agree--it seems pretty peculiar. I can't see making a $20 cork grip for a rod for a 6 year old, though.
Carl Z
QUOTE (Gnossos @ Jan 24 2012, 01:31 PM) *
As a long time cork user, I agree--it seems pretty peculiar. I can't see making a $20 cork grip for a rod for a 6 year old, though.

And it doesn't make sense to build a custom rod for a 6 year old either whistling1.gif

Of course making sense is not why a hobby rod builder builds a rod kicking.gif

It sounds like a good chance to learn how to do eva grips.

How about using dish soap to "dry fit" the grip and see what happens. The worst that can happen is you have to cut off the foam.

Also, I have "EVA" grips that are of varying densities. My guess is some will stretch a lot more than others. I would try reaming the foam grip a bit and try again.

Carl
John T.
And it doesn't make sense to build a custom rod for a 6 year old either

When you are building or refurbishing a rod for the grandkids, it is worth it- every penny. wub.gif I hope that my grandkids can keep the rods for many years. I have a fly rod that is about 49 years old. My grandson that I made the spinning rod for this past Christmas asked his Dad if he could go outside (58 deg.) and cast it. Practice plug- he was getting 60-70 feet with it! Working on accuracy next.
kbproctor
I just read another, easier way to do this in Rod Crafter's Journal.

First thing you do is to chamfer the hole in the EVA grip on the butt end. The end that leads the way while you are shoving the thing on.

Run teh grip onto the rod until you get resistance and mark with your china marker. Also mark where the grip will actually sit.

Next, smear the area where the grip will sit and NO MORE with epoxy.

Dribble a generous amount of plain old rubber cement from your first mark down to the epoxy.

Shove the grip on, rotating to get good coverage with the rubber cement. Shove it all the way home. The rubber cement is said to not effect the epoxy bond.

Let the rubber cement on the blank dry and roll it off. All done!

Now... The chamfer allows the grip to ride up onto the rubber cement and keeps the front edge of the hole from acting like a squeegee. Rubber cement is cheap and works well as a lubricant. We have all put it on our fingers as kids, let it dry and marveled at how it would roll off our skin.

I have not tried this but it is in use by several builders and they give it good reports.

phg
I've not worked with EVA, but it only makes sense to ream the grip out a bit, if it's way too small. I think, though, that a finer grit of sand paper than we use with cork would be in order.
Gnossos
I reamed it, not quite as much as cork, followed the greased blank strategy and it came out fine.
" I hope that my grandkids can keep the rods for many years "
John--I hope the grandkids avoid breaking them for many seconds.

Kevin--If it works with a long line of rubber cement, I would wonder what other lubricants would work that might be even easier. We used to use hair spray to put EVA bicycle grips on, but they didn't get secured with epoxy.

Thanks for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.