131 replies to this topic

#1 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:55 PM

Hey everyone,

help.gif

I'd like to ask some help in testing and troubleshooting a program I threw together for calculating guide spacing and sizes.

The spacing is pretty much the same as in Shadownix's Excel sheet, so that is straight forward, but since I used an algorithm rather than a table, I think the area of my biggest concern is the guide sizing. Lighter weight rods seem to be more accurate, though I'd like to hear your comments and suggestions.

The program is geared toward graphite rods right now, though I'm planning on putting together a bamboo add-on later.

You can download the program/installer here (2.5mb file). The rest should be pretty straightforward.

TIA
Chris

Posted Image

#2 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:49 PM

That is AWESOME. Thanks Carl!!!

Nick
IPB Image
Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#3 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:00 AM

Thanks Nick! thumbsup.gif Did the report print OK for you? Will had a bit of a hiccup, but I'm hoping it was just his machine. wink.gif
Chris

Posted Image

#4 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:52 AM

question-the stripper and choker guide, is it only set up for the one stripper guide no matter what? on lower weights that is fine, but say a 9 wt or so.... i'd go with like a 16 and a 12, something like that.

steve

#5 buildsrods

buildsrods
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:12 AM

Carl, had no problem printing the report. cant be a lot of help i use static guide placement and single foot guides that are sized different. but did look at a few charts from others and it looked close.

#6 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:47 AM

Wow: Handy little program!

Today, I'm going to take apart a cheap Shakespeare flyrod I have (3pc, 8 1/2', 7wt) and go through the motions of building a rod from scratch. I'm going to shorten it to 8' and will use your program for the initial placement of the guides.

Will take photos of the 'bend test' for optimum guide placement and post 'em if you like.

Thanks a ton.

Cheers!

Gary
Orvis ROCKS!

#7 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

Very well done program Chris
This will come in handy.

Thanks
Bob

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

#8 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

Good stuff guys - thanks!

I just uploaded a new version that includes a few changes:
  • Larger rod sizes show 2 values for the 'choker' guide, one for standard snake sizes, and the other for a second stripper, in the format "6 / 10".
  • I added a Double Foot/Single Foot snake guide option which translates standard snake sizes into mm sizing. The selected guide type will be printed on the guide report.
Unfortunately my installer doesn't yet allow for patches so you'll have to redownload the entire 2.5mb file, but it should just install over the old version without any problems. If you do have installation problems just unistall the old version and try to reinstall the new.

Again, the program/update can be found here, and please let me know if things look/work OK. thumbsup.gif
Will take photos of the 'bend test' for optimum guide placement and post 'em if you like.

Gary,
For comparison, I'd love to see some bend test results on the rebuild you are doing. Thanks!

i use static guide placement

buildsrods,
What do you mean 'static guide placement'?
Chris

Posted Image

#9 buildsrods

buildsrods
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:14 PM

http://www.rodbuildi...taticguide.html ,,great description of static guide placement,,, but your program looks like it will save a lot of time,,,,,thanks for the single and double foot add on. great program. Carl you are man of many talents. my simple way of doing static placement is install the tip top,put old reel in seat, put my guides on the line , run through top,bend the blank,install guides on blank , so the line flows through the guides with out bends.

#10 buildsrods

buildsrods
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:46 PM

Carl, i didnt know i was doing static guide placement untill got a computer,,, lol i was a hemroid as a kid to a old guy that built bamboo rods,,thats the only way he placed his guides,,he had no charts etc,,,not sure he could read.

#11 buildsrods1

buildsrods1
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

Carl, that is one nice program,,,thanks a million, but now you got me thinking about building a dust free filter box so i can move a computer into my shop.

#12 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:36 PM

Thanks buildsrods!

I suppose I do a kind of basterdized version of static placement in that I usually tape on the guides using a program/formula first, then do a bend test and rearrange them according to how things look.

Do those single foot guide sizes look right? After putting them in I stumbled across another chart that had sizes in only integers. The numbers were close, but not exactly the same. dunno.gif

I'll leave the program up for a while in anticipation of further feedback and suggestions and until I can get the time to code in the bamboo spacing program. Then I'll see if I can get it permanently moved to the RBF server.

Chris

Posted Image

#13 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

Carl,

I could use a little help interpereting your progam's output:

I am building a 9' 4wt and intend to use 10 guides: 2 strippers (12 and 10) and 8 runners.

Here's the output of your program:

user posted image

I'm sure that it's telling me what I need to know, but I just don't understand. Any idea how I make allowances for the 2 strippers? (The program looks like it's calling for 1 stripper and 9 snakes.)

Maybe I need to input "9" instead of "10" guides and just add the second stripper in without the program? dunno.gif

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary
Orvis ROCKS!

#14 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:48 PM

It will only add 2 strippers automatically for rods of line weight larger than 8. In your case if you want to add 2 strippers, I'd probably drop one of the 3 guides so it looks like 1,1,1,2,2,2,3,4,10,12.

But, looking at your numbers I'd say 20" from the butt of the rod to the first stripper is not enough. At the very least do a test cast before wrapping the guides in this position and see how it feels.
Chris

Posted Image

#15 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

Or, perhaps, 1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,10,12 if you are going for larger sized guides across the board.
Chris

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users