Photo

Payne 7'6"-3/1

6 replies to this topic

#1 Bowbiker

Bowbiker
  • Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Rodmaking With Brent Nickerson My first experience from culm to finished blank. Payne 7'6"-3/1-4wt.

October 30th, 2013 .12:00 o'clock start
I left my place in South Calgary at 11:00am and travelled the 48 kms. to Brent Nickerson's shop that is in the basement of his residence in Northwest Calgary. 12:00 o'clock is a good time to start our day as the traffic has thinned out and the roads are in good condition.
First day on the job. After splitting the culm here I am trimming the nodes on the strips.

And here I am numbering the strips with the band saw. This, of course is all new to me, but my rodbuilding mentor, Brent Nickerson, assured me it is very necessary to keep track of the strips.

Trimming the enamel side of the node with a belt sander.

November 7th,2013. Running the strips through the Boginski Beveller/Planer

After running the strips through the planer here I am heating and straightening a butt section strip.

Milling .001/.002" per pass with the Morgan Hand Mill. It goes quite quickly once you get in the rythm.

After planing the sections to .030" over-size with the Morgan Hand Mill here I am binding the butt section together and getting it ready for heat treating.

And that is day two finished. Another productive , enjoyable day.......er.......half day.

November 14th, 2013. Session #3. 12:00 o'clock start.

Today we straightened the tip and mid sections, milled them to .030" oversize, double bound with string, and Brent was going to heat treat the three sections before our next session,

Nice......ready for heat treating.

November 21st, 2013 Session #4
Here I am, removing the string on one of the sections

And removing the enamel from the mid and butt sections. This is done with a scraper plane.

After removing the enamel from all the strips here I am adjusting the Morgan Hand Mill and each section is re-sized to the Final Taper.

At this point we get the three sections ready for glueing in our next session. Brent suggests I wear some old clothes as it is going to get messy.

November 28th, 2013 Half-way point making the blank.

There is more to this Bamboo Blank making than I could have imagined. The guys who do this for a living really earn their money.

Here I am, removing excess glue from what looks like the mid section. Brent provided me with a smock to protect my clothes from the glue, but it was unnecessary as we got most of the glue on the bamboo strips and not on me.

After glueing up we placed the three sections into his Heat Oven. Awesome oven.......Here is a link.......Post #9

http://classicflyrod...=583853#p583853

December 05, 2013

Here I am removing the cured glue after removing the string. I used 280 grit sandpaper on a sanding block. I commented to Brent that this was the most enjoyable part of the process. After a bit of practice I was quite easily able to determine when to stop sanding.

We fitted the ferrules to the blank and called it a day. Ferrules ready for glueing next session.

December 12, 2013

An easy day today. We finished epoxying the ferrules to the blank. All went well. We used Devcon H2 Hold Epoxy, a very flexible epoxy.

Brent had previously hexed the cork centres to fit the blank so I could take the blank home with me and glue the cork rings to the butt section.

Here is a link to Brent's Hexer........Awesome:

http://classicflyrod...= hexer#p545932

December 19, 2013

All that is left is to lap the male ferrules and turn the handle. Brent put the sections in his lathe and used a hone, file, and sharpening stone to make a perfect fit between the male and female ferrules. I watched in awe.

Brent took another pic of me while he was turning the handle.

And here is a pic of the fit. I don't think I will spoil it with a winding check.....just a thread wrap.

Checking the turned handle. I slipped on the reel seat and WE'RE DONE!!

Merry Christmas to me!!

I will post in the Bamboo Showcase when I am finished building the rod, probably in two or three weeks.
I must publicly thank Brent Nickerson for all his help, patience and due dilligence on this project. I now know I know a lot less than I thought I did.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Dick Seymour

#2 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

How lucky you are to have Brent introduce you to cane rod building. His own rods are most interesting and he is completely open to new methods of building without ignoring useful traditional methods.

So now that you have embarked on cane rod building with him, are you going to learn about his reel making. He makes some terrific reels!

Tim

#3 PENZZZ

PENZZZ
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

Way to go Dick. Not only are you an expert reel seat turner/finisher but you're now officially a bamboo rod maker! Congratulations!

Jeff

#4 D.Wood

D.Wood
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

This is a great post. Makes me wish I would look for a mentor instead of trying to teach myself.

#5 D.Wood

D.Wood
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

This is a great post. Makes me wish I would look for a mentor instead of trying to teach myself.

#6 kerrye

kerrye
  • Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Beautiful work Dick. KE
A man must believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.

#7 Oldschoolcane

Oldschoolcane

oldschoolcane

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Everything related to bamboo rod building & restoration.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to share that experience.

Tim

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users