Guide placement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bamacj

bamacj
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

So I've got a few rods under my belt but have a question. I always seem to end up with more guides than the placement chart suggest. At least one sometimes two. When I load the blank to check placement I bent to 90 deg. from the butt. I then adjust placement to keep the string off the blank. Casting application.

Am I loading the blank too much?

With the blank loaded to 90 deg. is it ok for the string to touch the blank?

I read this is a common rookie mistake... Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks. Joe

#2 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:36 AM

How are you bending the blank? You should be bending it naturally by attaching the weight to your attached tip top than running a string thru the guides with just enough weight to tension that string straight.
Now that your set, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the line touching the blank, it just can never go under the blank.
Those guide placement charts were many times publish in the 70's and are the same for all rods of the same length, no matter the power, rod action, etc. All the factory rods use them, same guides, same guides sizes for everything in the same series.
Some companies like Sage don't, they change guide size and position depending on the need. The guide sizes are usually considerably smaller than those recommended on guide charts by others.

#3 bamacj

bamacj
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Washougal @ Oct 25 2013, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are you bending the blank? You should be bending it naturally by attaching the weight to your attached tip top than running a string thru the guides with just enough weight to tension that string straight.
Now that your set, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the line touching the blank, it just can never go under the blank.
Those guide placement charts were many times publish in the 70's and are the same for all rods of the same length, no matter the power, rod action, etc. All the factory rods use them, same guides, same guides sizes for everything in the same series.
Some companies like Sage don't, they change guide size and position depending on the need. The guide sizes are usually considerably smaller than those recommended on guide charts by others.

The way I load my rod is to mount a reel and thread the line as it would be used fishing. I tie the line off and load the rod from the handle, just as you would fighting a fish or swingin one in the boat.

Thanks for the reply, I'll not be so worried about the string touching the blank now. thumbsup.gif

#4 JimF

JimF
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Try loading the rod as suggested above and see if you note any difference. wink.gif

#5 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

Bamacj,
You can get there your way, just a few nice options the other way.
You never have to tension and re-tension the rod to adjust the guides. The guides have no load on them, so they are not trying to rotate to the bottom of the blank and they are almost as easy to move as they were to install in the first place. If you want to add or subtract guides, it's so much easier if you just have to drop a light weight while the rod is still under tension and just back the string out thru the tip top to do what you want to do, than reposition your guide set. You only have to thread the guide/s on and let them dangle or remove the next guide/s down from the tip top to get what you want.
You only have to mess with maybe a foot of string through the whole process of adding or subtracting guides, as your light weight to tension the string is hanging just outside the tip top.
As JimF noted the blank will have it's natural bend with my suggestion and your seeing every natural curve and stress area and placing your guides accordingly. Your way the guide train, under tension, is modifying that curve from the get go, masking these areas.

#6 bamacj

bamacj
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thanks Guy's. I'll try this on my next rod. cheers.gif

#7 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (bamacj @ Oct 26 2013, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Guy's. I'll try this on my next rod. cheers.gif

You may want to try a guide chart made by the company that makes your blank! The only time I use those guide placement charts are on my Batson rods as batson make's there. Own charts just for there rods other wise I never use them. Alot of those guide chart are some what miss leading as it is not always that easy to do things and when is come to needing to add I guide to your guide set that is the norm it is call a stripper guide.
Glenn

#8 coyodel

coyodel
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

'Night-Life'

Sorry couldn't help myself...
Half this game is 90% mental.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users