Photo

Larger Fly rod grip for arthritic fingers?

14 replies to this topic

#1 ron42838

ron42838
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi,
I am developing arthritis in my casting hand and realy would like a larger then the standard cork 1" or so grip. Full wells or half style. For now I feel like I have to really grip tight and this makes my hand even tire more. In turn my casting ability suffers. What have you done if anyhthing?
Thanks,
Ron
done

#2 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Most of the rods I build have a larger grip than "normal". What you are experiencing is amplified by the arthritis but most folks would benefit from a larger grip for the same reasons you mentioned.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#3 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Maniform grips by far.

I've made grips with larger rings--2inches and made grips from them but one you feel a maniform, you will be quite surprized.

Randy

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 9,654 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I did an oversized grip on one of my own personal 7wt CTS rods a few years back and had to end up turning it down to normal later on because the extra OD actually made my hand more sore than normal after 8-10 hrs on the water.

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

http://www.youtube.c...khOaAHK7efc#t=6

#5 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I had the same experience as Steve a couple of years ago. Of course, my hands aren't that large. A lot of my buds say that larger grips on their Harleys are more comfortable but I try to keep them a slim as I can. The Maniform has always intriqued me.

Mike

#6 JW Healy

JW Healy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

If you plan on making the grip look at the reverse half wells here (http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=12074). The diameter at its widest point is 1.20". I really like it but most people complained that it was too fat. It might fit your needs well.
JW

#7 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

It's not for everybody, but most of my customers like the larger grips.

My suggestion would be to go to the lumber yard and grip a few different sizes of doweling. That will give you a good idea of what will be comfortble and what won't.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#8 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman
  • Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

One thing to remember - a larger grip can always easily be turned down. A smaller grip, one that turns out to be too small to be comfortable for you, is a bear to build back up.

Go larger and then adjust to suit as you use it a bit and find the sweet spot for your casting hand.

#9 2 X

2 X

Recovering streamer addict

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

I like what Tom says. How would you chuck an already assembled grip to turn it down? I have an eight wt. with a FB that could go on a slight diet.

It has taken a few grips to figure out where I like the "bulge" at. Not in the center but a couple of rings up from center for me thumbsup.gif

Makes turning your own nice so you can figure out the sweet spots as you go. Gotta be tough to find someone else's sweet spot if they are not there when the grip is being turned.

Jeff
If it ain't working, add more weight.

#10 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Jeff

Heat up the butt of the seat and pull the cap off. I then clean out the area and stick a tapered rod into the butt area of the rod and then put that on my lathe.

Randy

#11 2 X

2 X

Recovering streamer addict

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hi Randy,

I would suppose the FB I have on this particular rod would need to come off to turn the grip down as you suggest? I have a homemade drill type lathe if that matters. Can't fit the lathe in my rod building budget quite yet.

Jeff
If it ain't working, add more weight.

#12 jumper

jumper
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Jeff.
Could u drill a hole in the back side of your FB. Do your lathe work, inlet and install a decorative coin to cover ??

#13 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

2X, Highland Woodworking in Atlanta has a Rikon lathe for $249.00 plus shipping. Regular $399.00. Got one on order.

John T.

How did people stay on earth before the Law of Gravity was passed?

#14 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Arthritis in the joint where the thumb hooks up to the wrist is really common. Often people notice it when they pinch something and may feel it more as weakness than pain. The larger grip allows you to apply the pressure to the first cmc joint with less force due to decreased length of the lever and maybe due to the changed angle.

Reading 2X's questions, it occurs to me that you could get some cork tape at the bike or woodworking store and wrap the grip on your favorite rod with a second layer, to see if you liked the feel of a bigger size. Foam tape would be cheaper, but probably compress more and give you a different feel than the cork.

#15 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

[quote name='2 X' date='Jan 26 2013, 03:01 PM' post='207177'
I would suppose the FB I have on this particular rod would need to come off to turn the grip down as you suggest? I have a homemade drill type lathe if that matters. Can't fit the lathe in my rod building budget quite yet.
[/quote]

I have done this with reel seats and fighting buts that were not the ball/bulbous butts. I use masking tape to create a cylander on the FB. I use a short, wooden dowl and create a masking tape arbor on one end of the dowl that is the same diameter as the reelseat/FB. I then join the two with masking tape and chuck the bare end of the dowel in my drill/lathe.

You have to be a bit more careful when turning and steady the blank more with your off hand, but it has worked fine for me.

After doing this a few times, the addage of "you can always take more off" has less of a shine on it. I like to get the grip the right size the first time.

Carl

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users