BUY IT OR NOT: I saw an old Grampus Kiraku rod in a local antique stor

13 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Vogt

Mark Vogt
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

Greetings all,

While shopping in a local antique store here just west of Chicagoland, I came across an long wooden box with an odd bamboo rod in it...

It LOOKED at first like an ordinary 9 ft 3pc bamboo with a 4th spare tip section, BUT...

It also had a 5th section which would make it into a 6 ft spinning rod!

The label was scratched; one end of the grip had a large hold in it with a blue plug (just couldn't figure that out).

I finally deciphered the label: Grampus Kiraku & Co

Research online for an hour or so turned up a mostly "pooh pooh; not worth even $50".

The rod looks to be in fine condition; I PLAN on actually FISHING it, thought it seemed QUITE soft; like I'd call it a "SLOW action 3 wt".

What say YOU all? What SHOULD I consider a FAIR price if the ROD is in very good shape, but the box is beat up (one end MISSING)?

Thanks,
-MV

#2 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

Pass! If you want a rod to fish check out some of the modern builders on this site. You will be much happier. That old rod will probably disapoint you. If you want an old bamboo rod in that price range check out a good blue collar rod like a Horrocks Ibbotson, south bend or Heddon. Stay away from the post war Japanese rods.

Mike

#3 JobyKSU

JobyKSU
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:38 AM

These rods can be found pretty regularly for significantly less than $85 - mainly because people buy them, try them, and put them back up for sale.

#4 BowBound

BowBound
  • Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

Not. I'd guess $20-50 for that sort of rod, in any condition.

I noticed you've built a few banty rods. Use those for a while and get a feel of bamboo, then start thinking about where you should focus time/money. I've noticed a few people liking Southbend 290 for banty builds. Or, you may want to buy a quality blank and build a great rod. Or, you might want to dive in and start building your own blanks.

I happened to list those upgrade options in order from least time/money to most. The last is by far the most time/money spent!

#5 AgMD

AgMD
  • Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

$19.95 in perfect condition, with all the crappy flies, bobbers and stuff these were originally packaged with. It is not actually worth that much but it certainly is not worth more. As fishing tools these are worse than terrible. Crappy ferrules, tin reel seats, and a cane blank that was not designed to cast a fly line.
Decent project rods, Montys, H-I, South Bends can be found for less than $100 and I have found a few for less than $30. Real diamonds in the rough but with a rebuild they can turn out to be decent fishin sticks.
If you are really interested in an occupied Japan rod, there are a lot of them out there and you should be able to find one dirt cheap.
AgMD
Now fishin' with Spam may be crazy for sure
But it sure beats fishin with a ten dollar lure

#6 kerrye

kerrye
  • Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

I bought one on ebay for $40 that appeared to never have been used. (Cork was pristine clean, not a smudge) But, the varnish and wraps were going south. I did a complete re-do on it and put it on the wall with a carved , 20" brown. thumbsup.gif
A man must believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.

#7 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Mark

Unless your looking for a conversion piece, the rod isn't worth much
These box rods sold for 4 dollars just after WWII and many wood-be fly fisherman who couldn't afford the pricey American made cane fly rod @ 10-12 dollars.
people jumped on them, only to find out they weren't worth the box that they came in.

Your best bet is to get an American or English made split cane production rod like a Heddon, Granger, Phillipson, Sharpe's or Hardy.
for your restoration project .

Bob

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

#8 Mark Vogt

Mark Vogt
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hi Mike,

I DID buy my 3rd vintage bamboo rod on eBay just last week - an H-I just like you & many others recommended. It has VERY nice balance once a 7/8 reel is strapped on, and the action is soft quite alright... bu t NOT "noodley". I can tell already it's going to be a fsvorite...

I'll keep an eye on this Kiraku just the same, but now I know it should be $25 at most; I plan only to give it to my twin, who just restored a 1945 military jeep, and is in the Minneapolis-based WWII reenactor's regiment. It'll make his jeep all the more authentic ;-)

-mv

QUOTE (roadking @ Feb 12 2011, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pass! If you want a rod to fish check out some of the modern builders on this site. You will be much happier. That old rod will probably disapoint you. If you want an old bamboo rod in that price range check out a good blue collar rod like a Horrocks Ibbotson, south bend or Heddon. Stay away from the post war Japanese rods.

Mike

#9 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Glad to hear it. I think you will be much happier with that purchase. By the way, let me know how your arm feels at about noon. Fishermen of old were real men! whistling1.gif You will quickly learn why the old timers had a slow, relaxed stroke. Have fun.

Mike

#10 Kaboom

Kaboom
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

I saw one of those rods at a show last week. The guy selling it wanted $325.00 for it. I told him the we were only 300 dollars apart and he got so mad he turned beet red!

Brad

#11 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

A few years back a guy actually put one on ebay for the buy it now price only for $1900. I almost fell off my chair when I saw it. I don't think he ever sold it though ive_been_ripped.gif

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#12 Kevin The Mule

Kevin The Mule
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Just to play devil's advocate, I'd say that they are worth a few bucks as project/experimental rods if that's what you're in to. I have one I found at a yard sale and restored. I shortened the butt section a few inches and added a decent reel seat while doing a full strip/refinish. The key with these rods is whether the cane was decent to begin with and if it's held together. Mine looks sweet and is awesome for float tubing for bluegill and crappie...but it's anything but "crisp". ;-)

-Kev

#13 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

I restored a similar rod for a lady who wasn't concerned about collector value or such. She didn't want to fish with it but used it as a wallhanger.

John T.

How did people stay on earth before the Law of Gravity was passed?

#14 Grimm

Grimm
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Mark Vogt @ Feb 13 2011, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greetings all,

While shopping in a local antique store here just west of Chicagoland, I came across an long wooden box with an odd bamboo rod in it...

It LOOKED at first like an ordinary 9 ft 3pc bamboo with a 4th spare tip section, BUT...

It also had a 5th section which would make it into a 6 ft spinning rod!

The label was scratched; one end of the grip had a large hold in it with a blue plug (just couldn't figure that out).

I finally deciphered the label: Grampus Kiraku & Co

Research online for an hour or so turned up a mostly "pooh pooh; not worth even $50".

The rod looks to be in fine condition; I PLAN on actually FISHING it, thought it seemed QUITE soft; like I'd call it a "SLOW action 3 wt".

What say YOU all? What SHOULD I consider a FAIR price if the ROD is in very good shape, but the box is beat up (one end MISSING)?

Thanks,
-MV

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users