Photo

ProWrap Thread Review

3 replies to this topic

#1 M. Elrod

M. Elrod
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

Since the news of Gudebrod's troubles I decided to go ahead and give ProWrap thread a shot. I completed the first rod with it yesterday, and it is curing now. So here is what I chose to start with and my impressions of the experience.

1 Spool of ProWrap colorfast in smoke-screen (831) size A

First impressions. The thread's color was just like it was supposed to be on the color chart. The spool was actually in its own individual sealed bag, which I like, because I feel the thread is stored best that way (probably all in my head though).

Upon wrapping, I noticed a few things that I did not feel too good about at first. Please read the whole post and do not stop here. First, the thread was much thicker, or at least it appeared and felt much thicker, than any other size A thread I have ever used. I know that there is not a standard in place for this, but just saying, it was thicker. Secondly, it was much stiffer. There was a decent amount of memory in the thread as it came off the spool. It may be the case because this is the Colorfast variety, but I do not know yet. Initially, I had some issues with wrapping. It took several wraps before I got my tension dialed in to where it needed to be for this particular thread. After that though, it was incredibly smooth sailing on all accounts. The thickness of the thread is by no means an issue. The rod I completed had a size 4 tip (advertised as such, but actually more like a 3.5), and the thread was still plenty small enough to suit. And the thing that I was most pleased with was that the thread cut incredibly well. I did not get a single "wispy" cut throughout the entire wrapping process. And normally, I have a number to deal with afterwards. Lastly, the thread accepted finish with ease. There were no issues of it rejecting finish. I will say that it releases bubbles a bit slower, so be sure to check back a little later than normal, but nothing crazy. The color of the colorfast darkened just enough. This particular color matched very well with the St. Croix SCIV/II burgundy blank. I will post pictures before it ships out next weekend.

Overall, I was very pleased with the ProWrap. Initially, I was worried, but once I got the hang of the different properties, it was really quite a pleasure to work with. One more thing... the strength of the thread is VERY good. I actually tried to break it at one point just to see, and it is dang strong stuff compared to all the other size A's and even some of the size C stuff I normally use. Now, if I can just talk the guys into doing their spin on classic twist and a Trimar like thread we will be set.

Thanks for reading.

Matthew Elrod
Elrod Custom Rods
2 Cor 2:14 <><
Elrod Custom Rods

#2 Infinity Rod Creations

Infinity Rod Creations
  • Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

Good information, thank you for posting!

Dj
"My drifts are so distant, I dial a 1 + (area code) when setting the hook!"

Handcrafted Float, Fly, Switch and Spey Fishing Rods
http://www.infinityrodcreations.com

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

Thanks! I'll be looking for the results of your wraps and finishing.

John T.

You only live life once.  If you live it right, once is enough.- Mae West

#4 Lane Pelissier

Lane Pelissier
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

I love the non colorfast thread! Very vibrant. Good review, thanks.

Lane

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users