Photo

David taper Ray library

3 replies to this topic

#1 Perry B

Perry B
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

Does anybody here know how reliable/accurate the tapers in the David Ray taper library more in particular the 20 or so cattanach tapers? Last night I plugged in the 6043 (6 ft 4 wt 3 pc) and there was a rather high spike at the 15 inch station. I don't know enough about reading stress charts to know what I am talking about but it was rather alarming. I am posting this from my phone and when I get to my home computer I'll attempt to post the stress chart I came up asap.

This winter I plan on focusing on building 4 wt 3 pc rods in leingths from 6ft up to 8 ft. I am trying to get some ideas of the tapers I'd like to build so I'd like to hear some of rbf's favorite tapers. I was thinking about one or two of the cattanach tapers. Granger taper. And maybe something like a payne 100 or 97 "hex rodded" into a 3 pc.

#2 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

I don't really know the source for the Cattanach tapers, but I would assume they came from his book or one of his many other publications. As for the stresses, I plugged the numbers for the 6043 into HexRod, and got a spike at 10", where the taper goes from .079" to to .100". The spike (higher stress) indicates a more flexible part of the rod. Note, on this taper, a very flexible tip, followed by considerable stiffness from the lower end of the tip section through the mid, and then softer in the butt section near the grip. The flex in the butt is there to assist in roll casting, a hallmark of almost all Cattanach rods.

You might want to look at the Sir D. 6343 as well. It is only 3" longer, and has a slightly softer tip, a bit less stiffness into the mid, and a firmer butt section. This would make it a little quicker (faster) rod. The Sir D series always gets good reviews.

#3 Perry B

Perry B
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the input, I think I should just order the cattanach book. Id also like to learn to develop my own tapers but that is a little further down the line for me.

#4 chip node

chip node
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

Wayne's book is a great rod making book full of tips as well as his tapers, one that any rod maker would welcome to be part of their library. I had Carmicheal's book for years wasn't until I read Wayne's that everything seem doable in his straight forward and easy manner of explaining things did this rod making seem do able. Highly recommend you pick it up. tim

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users