Ultimate streamlined ferrule??

14 replies to this topic

#1 nickh

nickh
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:37 AM

Hi guys

Here are some photos of my version of the Hardy short rod.
Hexroded to a one piece and added a swell. I used the numbers from the one piece taper to make it as a three piece. Carbon rod spigots for the ferrule.
No swell use whatsoever at the ferrules. So far I can not think of any disadvantages to this ferrule system, it is cheap, easy to make, durable, extremely lightweight, quick to make, easy to repair and best of all the smaller diameter carbon has almost the same flexibility as bamboo so it does not interfere with the action of the rod. Possibly as close to a one piece rod as I can get.

I am busy making a set of rods all based on the same taper but using a few different types of this ferrule and a standard nickel silver ferrule to see how they influence the casting action. I will have them ready for the Swiss rodmakers gathering in Sarnen later in September.

Thanks for looking.

#2 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

Spectacular Nick!! Bravo! clapping.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#3 greenwell

greenwell
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:52 AM

Very good work well done

Gary
www.nichobamboorods.com

#4 ozarkflyfisher

ozarkflyfisher
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

Very interesting. It makes perfect sense. Easy quick repairs cost what ? A nickel ?
I realise your time to make them though... but wow. Quite cool.
cheers, Brian
" just once I wish a trout would wink at me "

#5 karelgol

karelgol
  • Members
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, rod building

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

Nice looking and well thougth combination of traditional and modern techology thumbsup.gif clapping.gif

Karel

#6 Baithog

Baithog
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (nickh @ Aug 24 2009, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys

Here are some photos of my version of the Hardy short rod.
Hexroded to a one piece and added a swell. I used the numbers from the one piece taper to make it as a three piece. Carbon rod spigots for the ferrule.
No swell use whatsoever at the ferrules. So far I can not think of any disadvantages to this ferrule system, it is cheap, easy to make, durable, extremely lightweight, quick to make, easy to repair and best of all the smaller diameter carbon has almost the same flexibility as bamboo so it does not interfere with the action of the rod. Possibly as close to a one piece rod as I can get.

I am busy making a set of rods all based on the same taper but using a few different types of this ferrule and a standard nickel silver ferrule to see how they influence the casting action. I will have them ready for the Swiss rodmakers gathering in Sarnen later in September.

Thanks for looking.

Larry Lohkamp

The Bamboo Butcher

Carving Fine Bamboo Rods

https://sites.google.com/site/thebamboobutcher/home

#7 mdraft1

mdraft1
  • Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hi, thanks for posting. Can your ferrule be made without a hand mill? Any chance you would be willing to post a tutorial?

www.proofflyfishing.com

Your source for fair priced, high quality rod building supplies.  Snake Brand guides, cork, thread, blanks, rod finish, tools, etc...  

#8 Bartman

Bartman

Certified Fishaholic

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

Really nice work! Did you use a lathe to make female end on each side, then put the carbon rod inside one?

Bart

#9 matsoberg

matsoberg
  • Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

Cool Nick. Way to go.

I always find it interesting when someone is thinking outside the box. Hope this stuff works out really good for you.

// Mats

PS. Have a good time in Sarnen. Canīt go myself.

#10 rsa

rsa
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:13 AM

Great job nickh! clapping.gif And a good idea too!!! Did you cast or fish the rod yet? How is diameter ratio bamboo blank/spigot?

I came on the similar idea to make a rod with "graphite spigot" ferrule some years ago. This rod was made in the 2004, but never fished. I only lawn cast it, I was to afraid the thin graphite spigot wouldn't hold the whole stress of casting and fish landing...

6'9''#6 Carbonica1

6'9''#6 Carbonica2

r thumbsup.gif

#11 BowBound

BowBound
  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:27 AM

What a brilliant idea. I've got a couple questions if you don't mind.

Is the female just bamboo? I'd assume it is, but the black color is throwing me off.

Did you originally try a hex carbon rod (I was following your other post)? What were your reasons for moving toward a round carbon rod?

Thanks for any answers.

#12 BowBound

BowBound
  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:28 AM

Duplicate of above. Sorry.

#13 phisi

phisi
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hallo Nick,

I look foreward to meet you in a short time at the gathering in Sarnen with your rods.
As collector of bamboo rods over years, I have to say that the term "Ultimate" does not exist for me. Just as in normal life, there seems to be nothing new.
In terms of this ferrule, I would like to add some pictures of two Pezon&Michel models, produced between 1980 and 1995. And a simmilar type of spigot, made out of fiberglass, was produced around 1975 by the Swiss rodbuilder Fritz Schreck.

Bellow you can see some pictures of the P&M Models "Vinci" and "Comtesse".

Model Vinci in the 80's

Model Comtesse 80/90

The pruduction was stopped in the 90's because ... "some" problems!

Regards
Philipp

#14 thierry

thierry
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

Very nice work Nickh ! thumbsup.gif
My land is hexagonal : France

#15 Rob Smith

Rob Smith
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

Extremely interesting - thank you for sharing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users