Photo

Exposed Blank Casting Reel Seat

3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Coppolino

Matt Coppolino
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

Im a newbie here and have just about finished my first spinning rod and was beginning to plan my next build, a casting rod. How do you go about finding the right size exposed blank reel seat. Do you still use arbors? If you use arbors wouldnt the area where the exposed part of the seat and the rod blank leave a gap? Or is the real seat tapered like the blank and you need to find the right size seat for the placement you want on the blank.

Thanks Matt

#2 STEVEDORE

STEVEDORE
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

Matt-
The exposed blank seats are sold with different inside diameters to fit the blank at the point you have decided where you intend to install it. If you want to have a 10" rear grip behind the reel seat then measure the blank's diameter at that point. The seats are usually sized in .5 mm increments. Measure your blank, compare it to the sizes listed and get the one that is on the smaller side of your measurement if it falls between any two sizes. If when you try it on your blank and slides down short of your intended point, you will have to ream it a little at a time until it slides down to where you want it. You don't want it so tight that you have to force it into that spot. A just snug fit is correct. Apply gel type of adhesive to blank and slide it into place. You will have to clean up the spot where the blank is exposed-using at first a dry cloth and then one slightly damp with alcohol.
A man's gotta believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.

#3 Raymond Adams

Raymond Adams
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

Yep!
Some seat models require an arbor piece under the threaded barrel area some don't.
Check with your supplier.
Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you CAN do..
http://www.RodbuildingTutorials.com

#4 Matt Coppolino

Matt Coppolino
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Stevedore, thats how i thought it should work just wanted to make sure. What kind of epoxy do you use for reel seats. Right now i have FlexCoats rod builders epoxy and when i mix it up it is way to think and wants to run off the blank. I was thinking of getting some rod bond, i heard that is more of a paste when applied.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users