Photo

Drain Tube Retired Today

8 replies to this topic

#1 jbtrout

jbtrout
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

Well I decided a couple of weeks ago that it was time for the drain tubes to go, so I built a dip tube / varnishing / drying cabinet. Having no clue as to exactly what I was going to do, it took about 8 hours to build. The setup is capable of dipping 9' 2 piece rods, has a reversable variable speed motor (anywhere from about 1/2 RPM to 4 RPM), and has a heating light set up in the base to warm the varnish in the winter.

Just finished wrapping a rod and am varnishing the wraps. In a couple of days it will be time for the inagural "bath".

Jim

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 flyman219

flyman219
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, fly tying, rod building, restoring old outboard motors, home remodeling, family stuff, my kids, retirement fun!

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Nice job Jim, that looks like a great idea. I like the idea of not having to move the rod from the dipping tube to a different drying cabinet, Im a bit clumsy. How tall is the unit on the outside.
Mike

#3 jbtrout

jbtrout
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

Mike,

It's about 10' tall. Luckily I have 12 foot ceilings.

Jim

#4 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:03 PM

Sweet! Looks like an awesome setup. headbang.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#5 flyman219

flyman219
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, fly tying, rod building, restoring old outboard motors, home remodeling, family stuff, my kids, retirement fun!

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

I guess a drywall saw would make it work in my garage, I'll just tell the wife it's for a new skylight hysterical.gif
Mike

#6 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

I'd watch the wattage on the light bulbs in the bottom section. Looks like a good fire starter to me. It's amazing how much heat a light bulb puts out, especial in a closed area with lots of wood around and varnish. nopity.gif Other than that it looks like a nice setup thumbsup.gif

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#7 MTtyer

MTtyer
  • Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

That's a very nice looking cabinet. Thanks for sharing that.
Several folks seem to be getting away from drain tubes lately. Too much handling of the varnish?

I wish I could figure out a cabinet just like that one with a slide/barrier/door thingie that you could shut off the top part, once the rod section was inside, and open up the bottom door for servicing the tube.

#8 Ethan Feinsod

Ethan Feinsod
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

Dip tube/dry cabinet looks great! A dip tube is next on my list. just finished my winder. I have no problem with the cabinetry but where does one find the motor / speed control Etc?... other than the cabinet and pvc tube what other parts do I need ?
thanks
E.

#9 jbtrout

jbtrout
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

Part's aren't that big of a problem. Here is what I used

Motor

Power Supply

Variable Speed Control

In addition to that all that I needed was a double throw / double pole toggle switch to make the motor reversible, a few screws, some scrap UHMW Poly, a couple of lights, and that's about it with the exception of the coupler that I was made by John Fleisher in California. The coupler was only about $5 and was easier to have made than buy what I needed to make it myself. If anyone needs the contact information, please send me a private message.

Jim

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users