Photo

Using your drill as a drill press

21 replies to this topic

#1 lazylightning56

lazylightning56
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Anyone out there know of any devices to mount your hand drill onto to convert it into a drill press? Seems like it would be a cheaper option than buying a proper drill press.

Thanks,
Stephen
"What a long strange trip it's been." Grateful Dead

#2 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

Vermont American used to make one. They are handy, but not as handy as a real drill press. Since you can usually buy an inexpensive Ryobi for $99 (on sale) at Lowes or Home Depot, I doubt that there is much market for them anymore.

#3 flyman219

flyman219
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, fly tying, rod building, restoring old outboard motors, home remodeling, family stuff, my kids, retirement fun!

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

You might have a tough time for accuracy with that idea. I bought a Sears drill press for about $100 and mounted it on my workmate for portability, I have a space issue so I bring it out when I need it and store it under the bench when not in use.
Mike

#4 mfuller

mfuller
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

Stephen,

I have one of these that I never use since buying a floor standing drill press.

http://www.wolfcraft...etail.cfm?id=58

Send me your address and I will send it to ya.

~Matt Fuller
Chicago, IL

#5 lazylightning56

lazylightning56
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

Wow, cool! Can I send you something in return for it? I have a nice aluminum rod tube and a new sock I could send you.

Thanks so much!

Stephen Veefkind
144 Bruce Avenue
Mount Vernon, NY 10552

#6 mfuller

mfuller
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

Don't feel like you have to, but if you are not using the rod tube I could definetly put it to use. I should be able to get the drill press in the mail on Monday.

Thanks,
Matt Fuller
4751 N. Malden, Unit 2S
Chicago, IL 60640

#7 Adam-

Adam-
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

Wow, that was cool.

I'm glad to see this sort of stuff happening here, it's happened to me here as well.

Cool.

IPB Image

SALE! + Harbor Freight + Drill Press = $35

Everyone should be signed up for getting sales flyers from HF.

We get our Tonkin from China...
Grassart Studio

#8 MTtyer

MTtyer
  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

I bought one of those cheapie drill presses like the one that Adam is recommending.
Does everything that I need to do and has held up well.

I'm usually not an advocate of cheap tools but those little drill presses are really handy and don't cost an arm and a leg. You can put a $7.00 sanding drum in it and put a peg of some sort in front of that and you've got yourself a pretty good strip thicknesser. (if "thicknesser" is a word)

#9 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

Hey flyman, I've been doing that for years! Bolt a 2X2 to the bottom of a piece of plywood and mount the tool to the top. Clamp it in the Workmate, works great!

Mike

#10 lazylightning56

lazylightning56
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

That's a great idea. You could clamp other stuff to it too, like a wire brush attachment or a small grinding stone, or a buffing attachment.

#11 lazylightning56

lazylightning56
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:06 AM

Matt, I have a really nice Orvis bamboo rod tube in primo condition. I't black aluminum with brass fittings. It has the Orvis label on it, but it can be removed if you want to.

Thanks again,
Stephen

#12 mfuller

mfuller
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

Stephen,

The press is in the mail. I shipped it parcel post to save a few $$. It should be their on Friday.

I would love the rod tube. I have several rods in pvc tubes. This would be a nice upgrade.

Thanks,
Matt

#13 flyman219

flyman219
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, fly tying, rod building, restoring old outboard motors, home remodeling, family stuff, my kids, retirement fun!

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

Great stuff! I like to see people helping each other out. I wonder how many of us have things related to rod making that we wouldn't mind putting up for some sort of exchange or swap.
Mike

#14 lazylightning56

lazylightning56
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

why don't we post a swap topic and see what happens?

#15 skeet3tx

skeet3tx

My Free Puppy

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

It makes me feel good to see the generousity of the forum. Not only do they freely share information and experiences, but share other things as well. clapping.gif
This swap stuff reminds me of the joke: "I got a new flyrod for my wife. Best trade I ever made!" hysterical.gif
John Torchick
Hiwassee Custom Rods

Remember: When you feed the cat, don't lick the spoon!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users