Photo

Staining Cork Handles?

11 replies to this topic

#1 rodbuioldingnewb

rodbuioldingnewb
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Ive finished my first rod, but the "plain Jane" regular cork grip still bugs me!! I was in my local Hardware store today, ODDLY enough NOT to buy something for my rod build HAHA!!! They had some "wood" stain/sealant all in one. I was just wondering if you guys think this would work on cork?? I was thinking I could use masking tape to make some sort off simple pattern on my grip, then go over my grip with this stain/sealent, remove the masking tape and have a two Tone cool looking grip!! But I dont know if it will work??? I KNOW Cork is Extremely "Porous"! Im not sure if it will actually "seal" with this stuff?? And im kinda wondering since cork is SO Porous if masking out a "pattern" would even work? as the stain might just seep under the tape? What if I just used "wood" stain, NO Masked Pattern and sealed it with Epoxy, or U-40 Cork sealer?? Anyway I guess what im getting at, is will WOOD STAIN work on a Cork grip, just the plain, Basic, dollar a dozen cork grip??? And would that stain/sealer work, or do you all think id still need to seal it with something else ie:- U-40 Cork Seal Etc,?? I REALLY want to even just "stain" my grip a "differant" shade if nothing else!! Ive got countless hours into this rod, and I want the Cork handle to be, well custom as well!!! Is the "wood stain" Isle the wrong place to be looking??? My next build, Ill be building my own Grip!!! THANKS ALL!!!, Brian

#2 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

U-40 would be your best bet, it should slighty darken the grip a shade.
Cork dosn't take stain well and I'm not sure if you could get a wood stain/finish to stay on very long once the rod is in use.

I recomend the next rod adding some type of inlay to accent the grip to match the wrap's thread color.

OSD.

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

#3 rodbuioldingnewb

rodbuioldingnewb
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

THANKS, OSD!!
To Bad I already went and bought some stain!! HAHA!!! I was in Cabelas yesterday and looked at there U-40 "Cork sealer", Damn wish Id have bought a bottle!!!! wallbash.gif Anyway im going to "roughen up" my Cork grip with some sand paper, put A few coats of stain on and just see what happens??? My Next build will CERTAINLEY have a "custom" grip on it!! As I have access to a wood shop, Lathe, Great Hardwoods etc! Just wish I hadnt been in such a hurry to get the grip on this build!!! Oh well Build and Learn, then Learn some more!!! Thanks for youre Advice!!, Brian

#4 rodbuioldingnewb

rodbuioldingnewb
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hey Sorry OSD,
My Cork handle DID take some stain, although its gonna take Several coats!!! I Probabley could have got the same "Affect" with U-40 Permagloss, but I Drove to Cabelas yesterday and they where OUT!!! wallbash.gif !! I drove 40 miles one way JUST to get some PermaGloss and they didnt have ANY!! crying.gif So im gonna mess around with my Rod- Staing etc. for a few days, until Cabelas gets some Permagloss in stock!!! Ya I know IM VERY lucky to have a Cabelas within 30 miles of the house!!! Anyway the "wood Stain" DID change the color of my Cork handle!! Now I just gotta wait for Cabelas to get some PermaGloss in stock!!! THANKS, Brian

#5 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

Fish slime works for to darken a grip also but has a bad smell once it fills the pores in the cork, but this is the best reason to use U-40 cork seal the polomer act like scotch guard so the grip will come clean with just a light soap and water washing. thumbsup.gif

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

#6 rodbuioldingnewb

rodbuioldingnewb
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:05 PM

UPDATE-
I put 2 Coats of Minwax "polyshade" Cherry stain on my cork handle. It did turn it a nice "Redish" color. Now I just got to figure out how to "seal" it?? Not sure if some U-40 Cork Lock would be the best route, or a few coats of thinned Cabela's rod finish? I think anything too "Harsh" will lift the stain!! I know if I dont seal it, when it gets hot im gonna have Red hands HAHA!!!! Im sure like some of you have posted, there are easier/better ways to get a nice look on a cork handle!! But I just thought id tinker around with stain. It really does look nice!!! But now to seal it????? HAHA!! Looks like Ill have to go back to Cabelas, I hate when that happens!! NOT, HAHA. My next handle will be BUILT! NOT Bought!!, Brian

#7 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

I believe Polyshade is a polyurethane with stain in it. Wouldn't poly seal it?

Mike

#8 rodbuioldingnewb

rodbuioldingnewb
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:42 PM

Yes thats what it is. Poly would seal it, but it is not very durable and probabley wouldnt hold up to all the wear a handle is going to get? I might put multiple coats on it and see though? Im not going to have time to get to Cabelas for awhile, and I dont wanna wait 2 weeks for a "mail order" I wanna get it out fishing!!!!! HAHA, Thanks Brian

#9 rodbuioldingnewb

rodbuioldingnewb
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(OSD @ Jul 18 2007, 05:29 PM)  

U-40 would be your best bet, it should slighty darken the grip a shade.
Cork dosn't take stain well and I'm not sure if you could get a wood stain/finish to stay on very long once the rod is in use.

I recomend the next rod adding some type of inlay to accent the grip to match the wrap's thread color.

OSD.

Ya OSD I thought of that, doing some wraps or something on my grip. Cabelas has some 1/16" or 1/8" braided wrap that would probabley look cool? This whole staining project was just one of those "hair brain", spur of the moment, boredom type deals!! HAHA!! Im going to learn to do some "custom" thread work before I start my next project. Anyway Thanks for the Post, Brian

#10 rodbuioldingnewb

rodbuioldingnewb
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:21 AM

UPDATE-
After putting two coats of Minwax "PolyShades", "Cherry" Stain on my cork handle, well I realized it wasnt the "Best" idea!! Cork doesnt accept/ soak in stain like wood does!! It went more on like "paint" than stain!! But after it dried I DID REALLY like the color!!! I sealed it with 2 coats of Cabelas Thinned "2 part rod finish"- 1 part resin, 1 part hardner, and 1/2 part Denatured Alcohol. and it turned out GREAT!!! Looks beautiful with a nice Redish tone to it!!! I wouldnt do this again!!! But my "Goofing around, Experimenting" worked out okay!!! It is a Beautiful grip, and almost looks like Wood!!! If youre thinking about "staining" youre Cork Grip, DON'T!!!!! Try some U-4 Cork seal if you wanna change the "tone of youre Grip!! Staing is a Pian in the @ss and theres better ways to make a "custom" grip!!, Like buy youre own "Burls" and go nuts!!!! My grip turned out okay, but I would NEVER do it again!!!!!, Brian

#11 Skiperie

Skiperie
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

What about adding stain to U-40????

#12 AgMD

AgMD
  • Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

I have seen many old bamboo rods with varnished corks. These seem to be strictly "after market" modifications. Every single one has turned out to be a bad idea. Soft varnishes develop a sticky feel and harder finishes like urethane and lacquer flex differently than the cork and flake off. In all cases the grip becomes a blotchy mess with pits and bald patches where the cork has pulled away with the finish.
I suspect that the very properties that make cork such a wonderful choice for a grip ( or a stopper in a jug of vino) are the properties that make it such a poor candidate for staining. It is nearly nonabsorbent. You can immerse a piece of cork in water for any amount of time and there will be little penetration. This is a good quality for a grip. It is also soft in the hand, and it is resilient -- it has a bit of "give" to it. Unfortunately this softness means it is not terribly durable. Small bits are always wearing away. This means that any surface treatment will need to be refreshed as those outer cells wear away.
Cork is a perfect grip material except for limited choice of color. I have found the BEST way to stain a grip is to use your hand to gently apply some river water. This should be done frequently and preferably using the water of more than one river. This is a very slow process and you may not see results right away, but you should keep up with the treatments as often as possible. thumbup.gif
AgMD
Now fishin' with Spam may be crazy for sure
But it sure beats fishin with a ten dollar lure

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users