Photo

Rod wrapping jig

5 replies to this topic

#1 Converted

Converted
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

If you are building your first rod and donít believe that you will build more than one rod a year there is no need to buy a Rod Wrapping Jig.
All a rapping jig dose is hold your rod and provide some kind of tension for the thread so that you can have your hands free for starting thread and whipping the thread at the end of the wrap
One of the ways you can make a home made jig from household items is just to find a box about 2 feet in length and about 18 inches deep.
Cut a notch in the box (as shown in the picture) this will hold your rod while you wrap.
Also to provide tension just run the thread though a old book (If you need more tension just add a book on top)
If after the first rod you decide you would to build more rods there are Rod wrapping jigs and Power wrappers in all price ranges and you may want to purchase one before the next rod project.
Either way you can do an excellent job wrapping just take your time and donít rush thought your project.

I read the above post but couldn't reply because the thread was locked. I have some "Newbie" questions regarding this post. 1) Are you rotating the rod in the jig while wrapping the guides? 2) You mention whipping the thread at the end of the wrap. Is this like whip finishing a fly? I sort of understand that you begin your wrap by wrapping over the tag end of the thread thus hiding it under your wrap and I sort of understand that toward the end of the wrap you can wrap over a loop of mono to pull the ending tag end under the wrap, but I've never heard of whipping the thread at the end of the wrap. (Well being brand new I've never heard of a lot of things I read here.) Also in closing I'd just like to say that THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!! This is the most informational forum I've ever discovered. Absolutely OUTSTANDING. Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge / experience with us rock bottom beginners.

Converted

mend, mend, mend

#2 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

Looks like you have it right thumbsup.gif

The term whip finish is a generality used to refer to pulling the thread under the guide wraps, which can be near the same as the tie off, which is done when tying a fly.

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

#3 conehead

conehead
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

Converted,

You can make a wrapping jig in just a few hours. It works better than a box and phone book. I'll give you some pics of a quick one that I built. Search back post on rod wrappers.

I will say this , having built only 2 rods, there is NO and I maen NO substitute for a powered rod turner. It just makes the flex coat on the wraps soooo much smoother.

Conehead

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
The TFF Moderators are my heroes!

#4 joev

joev
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

Here's another homemade wrapper:

IPB Image

Here is a modification I made to it based on someone else's wrapper:

IPB Image

Here's the side view:

IPB Image

JoeV
Life Member FFF

#5 Guest_SAGA_*

Guest_SAGA_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

Heres what I cobbled together after 20 years of just holding the rod in my hands and leaning one end of a longer section down onto a lg. 3000 yd. mono service spool with the arbor covered with felt. Those power wrappers are nice, but the pay back on them is a long way off depending on how many rods you build. I had to incorporate my old and then older thread tensioners , WHICH does not allow the thread to jump off the spool and wrap around the spool axle, The lower tensioner I built in 15 mins after I heard about the cup and phone book method in conjunction with the fact that you should not tension the thread, just the thread spool.

IPB Image

#6 rovercat

rovercat

• Members
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

I used this little jewel for years. http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=13451
Brian

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users