Glue

6 replies to this topic

#1 drgoretex

drgoretex
  • Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Quick question:

Just finishing a two strip quad - this first one more as an experiment an learning tool than anything else - and I don't have any fancy glue around the house, just epoxy (5 minute and regular) and carpenter's wood glue. Can I get away with the wood glue?

Ken
"I'm a fisherman, not a doctor"

#2 darrellmyskiw

darrellmyskiw
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

Ken - give 'er a go. If it's the Rona / Revy / Home Depot yellow-white type color - guesses is that its pretty close in composition to Titebond III.

Oh by-the-by - Lee Valley carries Titebond III in 2 sizes. I got the big jug - just in case. Ellice Ave and Empress (west end of the strip mall where SIR was).

darrell,

#3 drgoretex

drgoretex
  • Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:45 PM

Thanks, Darrell. She'll be ready to plane down to square by tomorrow..

Then I guess I'd better get components

Ken

#4 Mungo Park

Mungo Park
  • Members
  • 879 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Ken:
Hardware was shipped today kicking.gif headbang.gif
Cheers Ron.
In my limited experience, never pet a burning dog.

#5 FlyDoctor

FlyDoctor
  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

Do yourself a favor and at least run down to the hardware store for a new bottle of Titebond or one of the PU glues (Gorilla Glue, Ultimate Glue, Titebond PU). The stuff you mention sounds like a fast road to a failure. Considering how cheap glue costs, isn't the time you've invested worth that much?--Larry

#6 DHayashida

DHayashida
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(FlyDoctor @ Apr 13 2007, 02:58 PM) View Post

Do yourself a favor and at least run down to the hardware store for a new bottle of Titebond or one of the PU glues (Gorilla Glue, Ultimate Glue, Titebond PU). The stuff you mention sounds like a fast road to a failure. Considering how cheap glue costs, isn't the time you've invested worth that much?--Larry

Excellent advice. Titebond III is 5 bucks for an 8 oz bottle. Why risk all of your work for 5 bucks?
Darryl

#7 drgoretex

drgoretex
  • Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the advice. I actually went out to Lee Valley woodworking supply shop and picked up a bottle of Titebond III yesterday. I had already used regular wood glue on my first PMQ but then, that rod was all for learning anyway. Came out OK, but will be pulling out some better bamboo later this week.

By the way, the blank I built was a PMQ modified from a taper I pulled off RodDNA, specifically the Hayashida 5042 (5041? - I built as a one piece). Your taper, I presume, DHayashida?

Ken

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users