Photo

American Tackle Matrix blanks

8 replies to this topic

#1 carlp5351

carlp5351
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

Need some info on american Tackle Matrix blanks. Looking to build a small stream rod 7'-6" 4wt. How is there quality? How do they Cast? For this rod would like a softer feel. I do not like very fast rods. How is there customer service.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks
Carl

#2 froggy

froggy
  • Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

First off- Welcome to RBF Carl kicking.gif Lots of "good" people here.
Second- I'm not sure about American Tackle but Steeldrifter (Steve) is your 'go-to-man' about Matrix blanks.

(I don't know if AT are the only ones for Matrix or not dunno.gif )

Chris
RULE#1:If you don't take pictures, it didn't happen.

#3 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:56 PM

i don't think i've ever casted one of their 7'6" lower weight rods, but their 9'ers seem to be pretty smooth action. mod-fast is the best term i would use as the 5wt had a pretty soft tip flex but still smooth through the mid section (not full flex through the mid section to the butt but still loading through the mid). The 10wt seemed to be a bit stout though not heavy feeling, but not exactly my cup of tea.

Their quality from what I have seen has been good, without any real problems. the blanks look pretty cool with that woven graphite type look. If i wanted a good rod while not spending a ton of cash, that would be on my list to look at.

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 9,590 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

My honest opinion of Matrix blanks are thay they are probably the best blank out there in their price range ($40 or less). I'm not a fan of real fast rods ethier (except for streamer or salmon rods) and I have found that the Matrix series fits my taste perfectly. They feel like they are on the faster end of the moderate scale but certianlly still in the moderate zone IMO. I've built probably 20+ rods on the Matrix series all the way from the 3wt up to the 10wt and really liked each one of them. I get mione through dave at Patriot rods and Dave has great customer service. He can be reached at 269-628-5227

Steve

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

http://www.youtube.c...khOaAHK7efc#t=6

#5 Moushka

Moushka

Moushka

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

I agree with Steeldrifter! I was so impressed with the gray 4 wt, 4 pc Matrix fly rod blanks that I bought a couple of months back from Acidrods ($29.00), that I ordered a green 8wt 4pc for myself. Nice smooth casts and better in my opinion than the MF Sage DS series and Orvis Streamlines.

Matrix spinning rod blanks are equally impressive and a great value for the dollar.

Some don't like the woven twill on the butt section, while others really like it. So if you're building custom rods for people that could be a factor to consider. Too fancy of a burl grip could be a bit overwhelming.

Moushka

#6 Yohan1973

Yohan1973
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

I've built 3-4 of the 7'6" 2pc 4wt. They are excellent blanks. As Steve said they are on the upper end of the mod-fast scale. They are not soft rods. I love them but it sould to me that if you want a softer blank the forecast might be your ticket. I've built 2 of the 4wt 7'6" forecast. Althought I personally prefer the matrix, the forecast is softer (more whippy) and slower.

#7 MakoML

MakoML
  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:26 PM

I've built on a 8' 3wt Matrix blank and did not like it at all with a DT3. But put a DT 4 on it and its like a poor mans Winston WT. Smoothest 4 wt I've ever cast. I think if you over line them they feel more on the moderate side of moderate-fast.

The blue RX6 Forecast I have built on, only the 7'6" 3wt do I like at the rated line weight. I have to overline the rest of them to get a feel I like from them. To me, the overlined Matrix is slower than the 7'6" 3wt Forecast with DT3.

So if you want a moderate 7'6" 4wt Matrix, buy the 7'6" 3 wt blank and overline it to 4wt. You will have that moderate feeling 4 wt you are looking for IMHO.

Marc

"Heaven is that Special Place where cell phones don't work"

#8 Moushka

Moushka

Moushka

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:42 PM

It is my understanding that Matrix blanks will be available in black with clear finish very soon.

Moushka

#9 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

I also have a 9 foot 4 weight matrix and it is very nice
it has a very crisp Moderate Fast action and would make a good dry fly rod.

OSD.

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users