Photo

Staining bamboo?

11 replies to this topic

#1 JJD

JJD
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

Has anyone ever seen a stained or colored bamboo rod? It sounds like blasphemy but I'd really like a black or translucent green one - something totally different for a saltwater rod.

I've searched but haven't found many pictures of anything other than the usual blond or flamed rods.

Any feedback appreciated.

John

#2 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

Sounds like blasphemy? It is nilly.gif Actually there are a few people that stain their rods by different means. Chris uses various chemicals to give different colored stains to bamboo. John Zimny adds coloring stains to his varnish to give a different color. I don't know about doing it black dunno.gif I think it would look too much like graphite devil.gif I could see green though. How I'm not sure maybe a green tint to your varnish would be the easiest. I'd do lots of testing to see what looks best.

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#3 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

I own a green blank by Mike Brooks that he dyed and I have used several shades of Trans-tint alcohol based dye to mimic certain colors and have had pretty good results. The only problem I have is if you look closely at the rod after it has been dyed, it looks - for lack of a better word - dirty. Not bad at all, but definitely not a clean, smooth stained look like you get with most woods.

I'll see if I can get a good photo or two of the green machine so you can see what I mean. thumbsup.gif
Chris

Posted Image

#4 JJD

JJD
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have links to pictures?

#5 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

Here you go. This is on an impregnated blank. Adding varnish makes it look a bit cleaner.

IPB Image
Chris

Posted Image

#6 JJD

JJD
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Chris!

#7 johnchanner

johnchanner
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

I'll have to agree with Chris, dyed bamboo doesn't look very good. I've found that tinting the varnish with oil based stain or universal pigment works best, but I'v enever tried to do more than match the colors of some old rods.
john

I own a green blank by Mike Brooks that he dyed and I have used several shades of Trans-tint alcohol based dye to mimic certain colors and have had pretty good results. The only problem I have is if you look closely at the rod after it has been dyed, it looks - for lack of a better word - dirty. Not bad at all, but definitely not a clean, smooth stained look like you get with most woods.

I'll see if I can get a good photo or two of the green machine so you can see what I mean. thumbsup.gif

#8 gespliesste

gespliesste
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

Did some one us the Fultz Cane Browntoner for staining bamboo?
Olaf

#9 wvangler

wvangler
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

Here's the legendary "greenrod" that Lee Orr (LeeO on here) did a year or so back. It is a Sir D taper made green to the customer spec.

He should chime in on just how BRUTAL doing that work was. He had to re-stain it about 4 times and had to re-wrap about as many times for various reasons of marring the stain by simply touching it and such. He can detail the process for you.

IPB Image

This is an animation, watch to see it all.

#10 Jim Lowe

Jim Lowe
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(gespliesste @ Jan 29 2007, 09:08 AM)  

Did some one us the Fultz Cane Browntoner for staining bamboo?
Olaf

I've used it. It works well and is easy to use but I've had problems. Something about it isn't compatible with my finish work. I've had problems with the varnish flaking off. Weird I know. Jeff tells me that Iím the only one reporting this problem so Iím doing something wrong.

Jim Lowe
Hobbyist Rodsmith - High Country Fly Fisher

#11 gespliesste

gespliesste
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

I know that some makers using shoe polish to stain bamboo. But I dont know how this works together with varnish.
Olaf

#12 Jim Lowe

Jim Lowe
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

I was poking around the site of the varnish manufacturer I use (Epifanes) and found this:

"Applying varnish over stained wood can cause particular adhesion problems. If filler stain has been used, the aggregate in the stain can block the penetration of even very thin varnish. In some cases, it is advisable to rub in the first coat of thinned varnish as you would stain to ensure that the material penetrates properly."

This seems to explain my problem.....
Jim Lowe
Hobbyist Rodsmith - High Country Fly Fisher

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users