Photo

Rod Blanks Blemished or seconds

8 replies to this topic

#1 brokenrod

brokenrod
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:51 AM

I would like to know what companies sale seconds or blemished rod blanks. If you have their URL please post.

#2 TampaJim

TampaJim
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

Mud Hole does - www.mudhole.com. However, be careful in purchasing blems - you are risking all your work on a substandard blank. In addition, the warranty is usually a "through and to" type - through the door and to your car.

#3 brokenrod

brokenrod
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:06 AM

TampaJim,
Thanks for the info but I do understand what goes with purchasing blemished rod blanks to some degree. I have seen some blanks and not seconds or blemish go for a very good price and I would rather have one of those blanks. I would like to try a Sage blank an RP or RPL. Also I like Loomis IMX blanks.

#4 TampaJim

TampaJim
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:50 AM

I doubt you are going to find what you specified. The blems I have seen are either "unmarked" no name or lower echelon. The high end blanks if blemished or imperfect are destroyed at the factory - they not only can afford to do so, they can't afford not to if they want their prices to stay up. You would be better off looking for discontinued blanks, IMO.

#5 rovercat

rovercat

• Members
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

A couple of years ago I purchased a Lammiglas blem and it is a vary nice rod. Put fly rod blanks blems in search and see what you come up with.
Brian

#6 Whirnot

Whirnot

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology, we can make him better than before....

• Moderators
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Andy Dear has some blem CTS blanks
Bill Worden

Red Feather Fly Rods

Give a man a fish, and he eats for one day. Give a fish a man, and he eats for weeks!!!

#7 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

Can't help you with blems, but Madison River Fishing Co. has some Sage VPS and XP blanks on closeout sale.
Chris

Posted Image

#8 brokenrod

brokenrod
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Whirnot:
I am not familiar with CTS blanks. What does the blank compare to as far as Sage, Loomis, Hardy and Scott?

Carlin:
Thanks for the information on Madison River fishing Company. They do have very good prices on Sage Blanks and others.

#9 Moushka

Moushka

Moushka

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:15 AM

Rod-blanks.com has some nice blue green IM6 blanks that have cosmetic blems for about $15.00. I bought some MF ultralite spinning rod blanks from them and 4wt fly rods they all cast nicely. The primary cosmetic flaw was uneven sanding in a couple of small places resulting in being able to feel the "spiral" wrap of the graphite sheet. Doesn't hurt the way the rod works and 90% of the time people will not even notice.

www.acidrod.com is offering some really sweet deals on rods for rodbuilding.org readers right now. I love the grey (special color lot) 9', 4wt, 4 piece Matrix fly rods and they are only $29.99.

Moushka

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users