A great little rod wrapping jig

20 replies to this topic

#1 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

http://www.hatchesma.../january2006/84

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

#2 Converted

Converted
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

I made a winding jig from pictures and instructions supplied by conehead. THIS JIG IS AWESOME!!!!! headbang.gif It holds the tension on the thread, holds the tension on the blank, and best of all, a mechanically challenged person such as myself can build it. thumbsup.gif Thank you so much conehead!!!!!!!! This has really made learning rod building so much easier. YOU ARE DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! banana.gif
Converted

mend, mend, mend

#3 conehead

conehead
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:47 PM

Sorry converted,

I just stole, er I mean borrowed the idea from one of the guys on the site. I love these three forums: FTF, RBF, & TFF.

Conehead
PS: don't tell my wife about my three girlfriends who I visit almost daily
The TFF Moderators are my heroes!

#4 testwood

testwood
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi - I made one today, its crazy and it works !! hysterical.gif
Asked the wife to get a mouse trap when she went shopping, the old fashioned type that nails, the mouse not the eco friendly type ! devil.gif
' Tell me we havnt got mice PLEASE' says the wife.

#5 LLama

LLama
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (testwood @ Jul 27 2007, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi - I made one today, its crazy and it works !! hysterical.gif
Asked the wife to get a mouse trap when she went shopping, the old fashioned type that nails, the mouse not the eco friendly type ! devil.gif
' Tell me we havnt got mice PLEASE' says the wife.

Does anyone have a picture of their finished project, confused or dumb, i can not figure out how it works, Where do you put your thread.
LLama

#6 stanbery

stanbery
  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:24 AM

Were it says CUT BAR HERE. This is were the spool goes.

#7 Landrodz?

Landrodz?
  • Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

I just bought some mouse traps - I am making a jig tonight - I bought a piece of scrap at home depot for $2 - the 4 pack of traps was $2 - the felt to go around was $2 - and I bought a dowl rod to hold extra spools - 59 cents - I have screws and glue - so altogether - 6.59 plus tax = 6.99 for the Jig

I will post pics when I am done - mine will be slightly different

#8 rovercat

rovercat

• Members
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

Nice to see some of you using this. Let us know any improvements you make.
Brian

#9 Landrodz?

Landrodz?
  • Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (rovercat @ Jan 21 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice to see some of you using this. Let us know any improvements you make.
Brian

I added some hooks that guide the thread through, I have to take pictures and post them

#10 OSUsmokey

OSUsmokey
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Yeah please post your pics so I can see the finished project. I was also thinking of adding in some guide hooks, so it would be nice to see a few ideas

#11 Orion

Orion
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

Cool, it'll be nice to see the pictures. I will be starting my first rod next week. This look like it'll be the ticket for my wrapper.

#12 rovercat

rovercat

• Members
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

Will be looking forward to those photos. If you happen to get buy a building sio=pply store like Home Depot pick up a couple of the plastic holders for re bar when pouring concret. They make great up rights for both wrappers and drying epoxy. I will photograph one tomorrow and post it.
Brian

#13 Orion

Orion
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

SWEET, I love cool ideas via. pictures.

#14 rovercat

rovercat

• Members
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

Beter late than never
These are available in different sizes. add a little felt and screw holes and you are in business.
Brian

#15 flatfisher

flatfisher
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

This 'project' looks interesting. I never considered making a winding jig myself. I do this work not so often, usually I just use a bobbin-holder for fly-tying and wrap from the hand. But this thing, I should have all these materials somewhere around my place.

First is a ground plate, piece of wood in cm's that would be approximately 10 x 20 cm. And I have a question right there, is that long enough?
I saw some pictures of your home-brews and they seemed much longer than 20 cm (8 inch). Would it be long enough to hold a rod right? Maybe I should make a loose support as third when I am working on either end of a rod?

The mouse-trap to hold the tread is a brilliant idea, I will demolish one soon for rod-building sake!

Last part are the rod-supports, some wood on right angle up from the base-plate with a V-shape space to lay the rod. OK, but I saw that people use something inside which hold the rod from unwinding. Is that necessary and what should I use for it?

Hoping to get answers!

Tight lines,
Flatfisher

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users