I think I need new friends.

34 replies to this topic

#31 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

I like to say it's has a life time warranty....if you break the rod it's life is as a fly rod is over .... you can use it for anything else you want after that.

Ken cool.gif

You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#32 mhackney

mhackney

Spare the rod, spoil the fish

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

Carlin, the break looks really strange to me. If the break stress fractured wouldn't there be more of a ragged fiberous fracture? That area where the fibers look glassy is very strange.

I used to do destructive testing of fiberous ceramic materials and even though it is a very different material, the fracture pattern of a fiberous material should look similar. I wonder if maybe the cane was over heat treated at that one spot or some other physical change took place there. Just wondering out loud!

Cheers
Michael
Reelsmith and author of The Reelsmith's Primer - the Art of Hand-crafting Fly Fishing Reels

Learn how to build your own fly reels at The Reelsmithing Forum!

#33 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

mhackney Posted Yesterday, 11:13 PM
Carlin, the break looks really strange to me. If the break stress fractured wouldn't there be more of a ragged fiberous fracture? That area where the fibers look glassy is very strange.

Actually it's probably the most common kind of break you see with cane rods other than a tip getting caught on something and snapping. It always seems to be right above a female ferrule. I think due to a type of strain or work hardening. Where the non flexible meets the flexible. As we all know females can be very inflexible at times. whistling1.gif

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#34 chip node

chip node
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:40 PM

I too experienced a break in the same place only last year. It happened on a 4lb brown, I had caught him a month earlier during the sulfur hatch. This time I fooled him with a beetle before he broke it. The rod had been subjected to about four hundred trout and smallies. You could see where the fibers were sheard off and others that shattered as it let go. That was my third rod, and I too had removed more of those precious outer powerfibers instead of going up one ferrule size. It only takes one before you change your view for what size to use when matching ferrule to the cutoff dimensions. wink.gif

#35 DHayashida

DHayashida
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(chip node @ Mar 14 2007, 01:40 PM) View Post

I too experienced a break in the same place only last year. It happened on a 4lb brown, I had caught him a month earlier during the sulfur hatch. This time I fooled him with a beetle before he broke it. The rod had been subjected to about four hundred trout and smallies. You could see where the fibers were sheard off and others that shattered as it let go. That was my third rod, and I too had removed more of those precious outer powerfibers instead of going up one ferrule size. It only takes one before you change your view for what size to use when matching ferrule to the cutoff dimensions. wink.gif

I'm not trying to tell very accomplished rodmakers how to set ferrules, but I have always gradually tapered the bamboo under the ferrule up to the full bamboo diameter right where the tabs end. The tab ends are thinned down to very thin to match the bamboo tapering up under them, so that externally the tabs look like they are flat and straight. If you sand or file away the bamboo so that you make a shoulder that the ferrule tabs butt up against you have a high stress point at the lower inside corner of the shoulder.

Darryl

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users