Photo

Winding Check Calculator

15 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Shamburg

Mark Shamburg
  • Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

A few months ago I made a simple little Excel spreadsheet to calculate winding check size. A few days ago I asked Chris to put it online for me so I could share it with all of you but I forgot to post it until now.

This calculator only gives a rough estimate of the size as it assumes a round linear taper, but for all the rods I've used it for it's done a good job.

Taking a que from Chris here's a picture of it.
user posted image

The blue area is the input with all dimensions in inches, and the yellow area the output.

Just enter the known dimensions of the rod and the winding check sizes is automatically calculated for you!

You can find it at Winding Check Calculator

Mark

#2 dumpy

dumpy
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

Is there any chance of doing a metric one for us Brits biggrin.gif

#3 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

Here you go dumpy!

Winding Check Calculator - Metric
Chris

Posted Image

#4 dumpy

dumpy
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:35 AM

Cheers me dears wink.gif

#5 skinny water

skinny water
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

winding check what does that mean maybe a dumb question but new to this maddness trying to lean everything

#6 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (skinny water @ Oct 5 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
winding check what does that mean maybe a dumb question but new to this maddness trying to lean everything

A winding check is something you glue onto the tip end of the cork that you screwed up and reamed with an oval hole nearly twice as big as you intended. wink.gif Seriously, it's real hard to get the visible end of the cork hole to be perfect, so a winding check covers it and gives your hard work a nice, finished appearance and maybe a little bling. It also gives the thread that you normally wrap in front of the cork something even to run up against. They can be rubber/vinyl or metal. The rubber vinyl are generally considered less desirable in a high quality rod.
Gnossos

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

I have a computer with a Home program that only allows you to use Word for a number of times. You have to pay extra to get Word and other stuff. crying.gif I was trying to use the calculator but it is now read only. Any suggestions?
Blank is butt- 0.331; tip is 3.5 mm.
Any help is greatly appreciated expecially if I can use the calculator in the future.

John T.

How did people stay on earth before the Law of Gravity was passed?

#8 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (John T. @ Mar 10 2011, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a computer with a Home program that only allows you to use Word for a number of times. You have to pay extra to get Word and other stuff. crying.gif I was trying to use the calculator but it is now read only. Any suggestions?
Blank is butt- 0.331; tip is 3.5 mm.
Any help is greatly appreciated expecially if I can use the calculator in the future.

Download Open Office ... it's free and will run any word document

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#9 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

I just made a copy in Google Docs. You should be able to get to it here:

https://spreadsheets...g...RfNlE&hl=en

There is no cell-protection so please only change the items in blue.
Chris

Posted Image

#10 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

I have Open Office but for some reason, it didn't work. Carlin, got it- thanks! Saved it as a Favorite for future reference. Handy as a pocket on a t-shirt! thumbup.gif

John T.

#11 runner

runner
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

I received a plastic drill gauge a while back that has drill sizes to the 64ths - just slide it down to the area of the winding check - see what drill size works and then convert it to decimals or mm

#12 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

Runner, why didn't I think of that? dunno.gif My drill gauges have both 64ths and decimal sizes.

John T.

#13 hbell

hbell
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

this is the coolest thing I have yet to come across on ANY rodbuilding site. Kudos, my man!!

#14 Steve65

Steve65
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Carlin @ Sep 11 2006, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The calculators should work fine, but since there are so many uses around the shop a caliper, dial or digital, metric or otherwise, can be had quite reasonably. No reason to pay more than $20 unless you just like collecting tools. Accurate even if the blank maker doesn't use a uniform taper.

#15 wjensen

wjensen
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Steve65 @ Mar 17 2012, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Carlin @ Sep 11 2006, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The calculators should work fine, but since there are so many uses around the shop a caliper, dial or digital, metric or otherwise, can be had quite reasonably. No reason to pay more than $20 unless you just like collecting tools. Accurate even if the blank maker doesn't use a uniform taper.

I do use digital calipers for mine, but I hadn't seen the calculator before. The nice thing about it is that I don't have to wait to have my parts on hand before measuring. Now I could order the check with the blank. I look forward to trying it out!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users