Photo

Morgan Hand Mill - Planing wet strips

7 replies to this topic

#1 DHayashida

DHayashida
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:37 PM

In another thread in this Forum we started discussing the pros and cons of the MHM. I thought I would be remiss in not mentioning one major factor I like about it. I can soak my strips and plane them wet on the MHM. I could plane wet strips on my regular planing form, but it is made out of cold rolled steel and rusts almost immediately. On the MHM the strip rests on a high density plastic anvil and the steel parts are chromed, so it doesn't rust at all.

I soak the strips in water at least overnight and some of the strips are in water two to three days before they get planed. Bamboo practically melts off when it is wet, and I can hog off very deep cuts in a single pass. I stop when the strip is just a little oversized, let it dry in a drying cabinet overnight, and just a couple light passes the next day gets it down to precise final dimensions.

I can rough plane a thoroughly soaked strip in less than a couple minutes, I see that as a big advantage to using a MHM.

Darryl Hayashida

#2 mossycreek

mossycreek
  • Members
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Building bamboo fly rods (occasionally), fly fishing for trout.

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:31 PM

Hi Daryl, Where's the other thread located? I'm glad to hear it's basically impervious to rust (that's why my encounter with wet planing on regular forms was so brief) Have you tried making any quads with your MHM? I've heard the strip edges can get fragile and crumbly.

Regards, Bob

#3 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

I think this is the one he's referring to Bob:
http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=11395
thumbsup.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#4 mossycreek

mossycreek
  • Members
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Building bamboo fly rods (occasionally), fly fishing for trout.

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:50 AM

Thanks Chris! thumbup.gif

Bob

#5 DHayashida

DHayashida
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Bob C @ Sep 6 2005, 09:31 PM)
Hi Daryl,      Where's the other thread located?  I'm glad to hear it's basically impervious to rust (that's why my encounter with wet planing on regular forms was so brief) Have you tried making any quads with your MHM? I've heard  the strip edges can get fragile and crumbly.

Regards, Bob

I have made many quads and pentas. I bought my MHM in 1997 or 1998 (They say the memory is the first thing to go.... Can't remember the second thing....).

The edges of the strips on a quad are a more acute angle and they do require more care. I found that I shouldn't try to peel off feathered edges because it easily takes the edge of the strip that I want with it.

Darryl Hayashida

#6 walldog

walldog
  • Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:34 PM

Hi Guys I know this might be a little off topic but we allways put any new steel tools ( that are not chromed ie pliers) in a molassess bath for a five days. they are sticky as hell when they come out but wash em in water & they will never rust even immersed in salt water. should work for planing forms too, mix 50 % pure molassess & 50 % hot water in a pvc tube big enough to hol the seperated forms should do the trick. popcorn.gif
Caveat Lector: Always listen to advice but Think for yourself

#7 DHayashida

DHayashida
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (walldog @ Oct 5 2006, 11:34 PM)
Hi Guys I know this might be a little off topic but we allways put any new steel tools ( that are not chromed ie pliers) in a molassess bath for a five days. they are sticky as hell when they come out but wash em in water & they will never rust even immersed in salt water. should work for planing forms too, mix 50 % pure molassess & 50 % hot water in a pvc tube big enough to hol the seperated forms should do the trick. popcorn.gif

I have never heard of that! I'll test it out on a steel bolt or something and see what happens.

Darryl

#8 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:47 PM

Very interesting. I remember hearing something about using a molasses solution for rust removal, but I don't recall anything about inhibiting rust. Thanks for the tip! thumbsup.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users