Photo

Finishing rod guides help

4 replies to this topic

#1 Tamezer

Tamezer
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:29 AM

I wrapped all my guides with an under wrap, when it was time to epoxy the smaller guides, i ran into a problem. I could not apply the epoxy to the under wrap area below the guide with out filling up the whole space of under the guide. Now i have a huge blob of hardness with a guide sticking out of it. (First pole) what are your techniques to avoid doing this?

#2 elderbarry

elderbarry
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

I don't know what anyone does today, but back when I spent all my time turning rods, underwraps were completed first and coated with "Brilliance" color sealant from Clemens.  After that cured, the guides were wrapped and then they were coated with color sealant.  And then after that cured, the epoxy was applied.  Clemens believed in the K. I. S. S. system.

#3 elderbarry

elderbarry
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

I should also include that I used a 10 cc syringe with the color sealant to inject into any areas around the guide feet where there might be any air trapped, as the air would later show up and change the color of the thread.

#4 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

If you want to go with color preserver, you could try 50/50 CP and distilled water on the underwrap and then again on the guide wraps.  Thinned, it will flow better into the dead space and provide a good base for the overwrap.   I use a heat gun to speed up the drying time between applications.  This technique also works when doing an underwrap base for feather inlays.

Just be sure to let the CP "settle" after mixing because it's prone to air bubbles. 

It also helps, for me at least, to use a thin viscocity finish in several coats.  I will often just cut the medium or high build stuff with denatured alcohol to get the right consistency and eliminate any bubbles in the epoxy.  

If you do not wish to use CP, you could apply thinned finish, just enough to saturate the thread evenly and let cure.  Then put on the guide wraps and finish the whole thing.  

#5 Tamezer

Tamezer
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:24 AM

This was absolutely helpfull thank you all for the advise.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users