Photo

Common Sense System

9 replies to this topic

#1 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'm looking for ideas here as I have a bunch of rod blanks I'd like to check.

Ever since we moved in to a new house from 3500 Sq ft to one with about 1250 Sq ft some things just went by the wayside.   One of those was a spare wall to set up my CC system plus a demanding wife who complains about my ideas of decorating.

Any of you folks have a portable or mobile system you can share pics of?   

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

Don't know if you hasve any way to do this, but doesn't take up much room.  This is the front office.

CCS_zps8bff28fc.jpg

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 wjensen

wjensen
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:13 PM

I just use a bookshelf - put the rod under books (have lots of heavy books) :)

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:07 AM

"OK, dear.  Stand still and hold the rod as level as you can.  Keep a tight grip on it so it doesn't move.  Then I'll take you out to eat.  McDonald's or Burger King?"

Could you adapt that setup to clamp to a tabletop or something?

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Don't know if you hasve any way to do this, but doesn't take up much room.  This is the front office.

That has possibilities as soon as I can figure out how to rearrange my odd shaped (not square) "office/computer/rodbuilding room" <LOL>

I do like your apperoach to this and I do have a couple of lathes to make those pretty rollers ... for those of us that are mentally challenged by pics let me see if I can understand your process.

1 -  Back roller is probably fixed and center bored

2 - Front roller is bored offset which allows you to rotate and make sure rod is centered.

3 - What about the business end?  How do you have the action angle attached, to a mobile stand or held freehand with a yard stck?

I just use a bookshelf - put the rod under books (have lots of heavy books) :)

I do have two book cases in here but no way to incorporate them for use ...

"OK, dear.  Stand still and hold the rod as level as you can.  Keep a tight grip on it so it doesn't move.  Then I'll take you out to eat.  McDonald's or Burger King?"

Could you adapt that setup to clamp to a tabletop or something?

This is a funny approach to a problem but the wife, while more than willing to "help" we have a serious language problem.

While I speak english she speaks female ... there's a translation issue that can be frustrating at times just like when I asked her to do something simple like turn the knob (I used a swag lamp J hook and used the threads to attach the blank via painters tape) so the rod blank rotates so I can paint this fiberglass blank in my cardboard box paint booth.

I ended up doing it myself.

And John,  I took her to Red Robin yesterday ... because the Seahawks scored from the redzone we were eligible for a free Double Tavern hamburger.   Because it's her birthday this month she scored a free hamburger.   I got out of the place for $6 for drinks

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

There are actually 4 separate rollers there, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. the front are offset drilled, and can rotate separately.  They are separated with Teflon washers to make them turn to adjustment separately..For the measuring and action angle, I use a small tripod

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

rhossack, WTG!  $6!!!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#8 jumper

jumper
  • Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Great info, I've been thinking about doing the same here. Although my wife thinks my fly tying, rod building, reloading room is for storage.

Really,$6 ? I'm past that on the first drink order. Then again it's a 2 hr drive to the closest Red Robin

#9 Raven Rods

Raven Rods
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:No where near good fishing water.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

CCS_zps8bff28fc.jpg

Looks like a near-perfect solution to me. Even I have room for that! Can the rollers be purchased somewhere? Or only home made?

#10 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

I just made them myself

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods