Photo

need a source for spring steel

18 replies to this topic

#1 mtgrizzly52

mtgrizzly52
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:39 AM

I have checked with all of the hardware and box hardware stores in my area trying to find spring steel for use as tensioner with my rod wrapper. All I get is blank stares and "don't have such an animal" from all. That being the case, does anyone have a source I might be able to order round spring steel from? Also, I've heard 1/4" round spring steel stock will work for the tensioner. Is this correct, or would another size work better?

Thanks for any suggestions you can come up with.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

#2 rhinorods69

rhinorods69
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:25 AM

here is the same rod wrapper that i gave to frog fish it uses springs or springs made of spring steel. you may want to consider making a multi thread carriage that the part in the pic make it for 3 thread on each side and i use eye screws i get a pic of them in a minute to. you putt he thread on the thread rod and tension with the spring and nuts. then run the thread threw the eye screw and up on to the rod very simple to make if you got the time any ways good luck and tight lines rhino.................

http://www.rodbuildi...e2882575bce.jpg

http://www.rodbuildi...e286e6ca535.jpg

#3 rhinorods69

rhinorods69
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(mtgrizzly52 @ Feb 17 2008, 01:39 AM) View Post

I have checked with all of the hardware and box hardware stores in my area trying to find spring steel for use as tensioner with my rod wrapper. All I get is blank stares and "don't have such an animal" from all. That being the case, does anyone have a source I might be able to order round spring steel from? Also, I've heard 1/4" round spring steel stock will work for the tensioner. Is this correct, or would another size work better?

Thanks for any suggestions you can come up with.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

btw you use round spring steel in a 1/4 inch round your not going to be able to bend it i would be thinging like a 1/16 or 2/16 of a inch max mite even be smaller should be all you need.

#4 Mark Shamburg

Mark Shamburg
  • Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

1/4" diameter spring steel is going to be very stiff. I would guess you'd want something much smaller, like 1/8" or less. Go to www.mcmaster.com and look up "music wire". That should help you find what you need.

Mark

#5 Whirnot

Whirnot

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology, we can make him better than before....

• Moderators
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:50 AM

Somewhere I saw a photo of the tensioner you are talking about. they used a graphite tip section, and tip top.
Bill Worden

Red Feather Fly Rods

Give a man a fish, and he eats for one day. Give a fish a man, and he eats for weeks!!!

#6 CDone

CDone
  • Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(Whirnot @ Feb 17 2008, 06:50 AM) View Post

Somewhere I saw a photo of the tensioner you are talking about. they used a graphite tip section, and tip top.

I just used an old tip section from a fly rod.

IPB Image

Colin

#7 drlogik

drlogik
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

Try a music store. Piano wire or guitar strings might fit the bill.

#8 Faster Fish

Faster Fish
  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

Most hobby stores sell piano wire.

randy

#9 mtgrizzly52

mtgrizzly52
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am currently using a rod tip, but it is so stiff, in spite of trying to control the tension with one of the dial in tension devices, the thread is going onto the rod very tightly. My first wrapper used the spring idea for tensioning, but it kept tightening up as I wrapped and was hard to control. The piano wire idea is the best one I've seen, and the website you gave me Mark looks like an excellent source of materials. Now all I need to do is figure out what's going to be most appropriate size. A trip to the local music store should be enlightening.

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

Rick

#10 3wt Man

3wt Man
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

Small Parts Inc used to carry spring wire, and I think they still do!

#11 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

I've heard of guys using a piece of a clothes hanger, or a welding rod, with a tiptop glued in place. Might be worth a try. I don't use a rod-wrapping cradle -- just a spool tensioner while holding the rod in my hands. The hands provide the needed tension.

Harry
Harry Boyd
maker@canerods.com
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#12 skeet3tx

skeet3tx

My Free Puppy

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Check with a local machine shop or tool & die shop. They should be able to help you. Also, some hardware store or building supply houses as Lowe's carry specialty washers that would be made of a spring steel material. Most industrial supply houses carry spring steel items. Me, I just use a 1/4-20 bolt through a piece of wood, washers on either side of the spool, a compression spring, hex nut, and a wing nut as a jam nut. I can set the tension for any type of thread.
John Torchick
Hiwassee Custom Rods

Remember: When you feed the cat, don't lick the spoon!

#13 45fisher

45fisher
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

Anybody tried the steel springs from and old rake? Just a suggestion.dunno.gif

#14 wfmdfm

wfmdfm
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

You can pick up a piece of an elecricians snake. They are spring like and you can cut to the length you need. Home Depot or Lowes has small ones.

#15 Trout Trainer

Trout Trainer
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

I'm using spring steel piano wire that is .039" in diameter with good luck. I picked it up in 18" lengths from Small Parts Inc. You can google them up and find a world of things to look at.
Stan Grace
"Our best is none too good"!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users