Fiberglass Blank Identification

19 replies to this topic

#1 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

Hi everyone!
I recently came across a massive amt of fiberglass blanks, fiberglass rods, and bamboo rods. They are every shape, size, action, color, condition. When I say massive... I mean... my basement is filled with rods and blanks (except the bamboo, that's somewhere a bit more climate controlled).
We've started to sort the rods... everything from igfa deep sea roller rods to small ultra light action fly rods and everything in between.

The reason that I'm posting is I need HELP! I've got some beautiful fiberglass blanks... possibly thousands... and I have no idea how to identify them. I recognize a few as lamiglass, and a few as conolon/living fiber.. but the rest I have no idea. I really would like to find them a good home, but I don't want to let some reseller come and snatch them up and I can't list them for sale without a bit of info first. So, here i am, hat in hand, i figured who better to give me a bit of guidance than the rod builders themselves. Id upload photos, but they wouldnt even begin to do this lot justice.. What should I do???

#2 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

There are no information written on them, or put on tape at the butt section?

#3 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Nothing at all. It's very odd. We've definitely identified a few noteworthy blanks but I am very very far from knowledgeable about blanks, especially vintage fiberglass

#4 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Hometown bait

I understand what you're asking but you have to realize, or should realize, that just because someone says it's this or that you need a little more proof. Another curios little ditty is that this is the first post that you come on to this website. I hope your an honorable person and I look forward to reading a lot more information about you and the rod blanks that you found. Explaining who you are and the circumstances behind this will go a long way.
Just as a side note, I received a phone call today from a very gruff manly voice telling my sweet Diane that this call is from the IRS and that you must return this call or face being arrested. Well the idiot didn't know that he reached the house of a CPA and a police officer all at once. Then a writer friend of mine tells me he got a phone call too but this person told him he won $8K--just because he paid his taxes last year. Of course they need to have your account info to deposit your earnings....

Back to your blanks
Photos of the blanks, along with lengths measurements,etc and this dedicated group of rod builders probably will be able to help you out. We also ask that you become a contributable person to our website before selling anything on this site, if you so desire to sell anything.
Thanks for stopping in here and I hope we hear from you soon.

Randy--moderating staff

Oh, BTW, we also like to hear what your first name is too,if you desire

#5 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Hi Randy, and Thanks for the welcome. I understand your concerns and didn't mean any harm whatsoever. Nor am I a solicitor of any sort. A little introduction...
My name is Taylor and I'm 28 years old. I'm from Utica, NY. A beautiful little town in central/upstate NY that's steeped in history and within an hr drive you can fish for many, many species of trout, esox, panfish, bass, sturgeon, perch, walleye, salmon, steelhead, and more. We have one of the best fisheries on the east coast on our doorstep.. Oneida Lake. Up and coming as a famous bass/walleye/perch lake. As well as hundreds of secret honey holes and the Adirondacks, Catskills, Great Lakes, and St Lawrence River/Thousand Islands.

I worked at a big box outdoors store(that shall not be named) as fishing departmentioned manager and poured my heart and soul into it for 2 years before making a trip to their HQ in the beautiful state of MN. I met with their corporate buyers and came prepared. My department needed local tackle, fly fishing, live bait and the power to choose. They took it upon themselves to laugh in my face and tell me we needed to sell more warranties and credit cards, as well as increase our "footsteps" (more customers, yes a corporate term for human beings, fishermen) in order to raise our inventory levels and remove the 5/0 treble hooks that were collecting dust to be replaced by anything desireable to the fishermen I cared so much about.
After the disheartening meeting, I had the opportunity to speak with the "Specialty Fishing" buyer... ice, fly, trolling. A very important category where I'm from. I greeted him kindly and asked him what he preferred to fish for. He told me he does not fish. It broke my heart.
I returned home, and log story short... quit my job and opened a bait shop. Hometown Bait & Tackle. With a walmart less than half a mile away, gander and dicks less than 5 miles away, and in my second year of business we got a brand new Bass Pro Shops about 30 seconds from my front door.
I got into business to care for the fishermen. Hence HOMETOWN B&T. I have a very good following of people for a young man and a small (350 Sq ft) bait shop. Every one of my customers would tell you that I would rather lose money than see the fishermen of my area go unsatisfied.
I am now in my 4th year of business and still making around $0.30 an hour when it's all said and done. But it's worth it. And I've found that by buying used tackle I can not only help people in need of an outlet/some cash, but I can also help people save a few bucks on fishing tackle, and make a few bucks myself.

This is why I purchased a 24' trailer of fishing tackle from a baitshop thats owner had passed away. I have sorted and sold a great deal of his stuff, however my house and my life(and my better half's life) has been overwhelmed by this MASSIVE lot of vintage rods and blanks. I am not looking to pitch or sell them here. But they have been laying fallow in my basement for a year now and I'm absolutely sure that with the resurgence of some fiberglass... someone out there would be very very happy to have these. I, however, have no knowledge of rod building(trust me SOMEDAY when my schedule isnt 85 hrs a week, I plan to learn the craft, not for my customers but for myself) and because of that I have no way to find a proper buyer. I don't WANT to sell them here. But I need to find info and would love to share my experience with this forum, just as its members would probably (like many other fishermen) love to extend their knowledge to help a fellow sportsman.
I would love to post photos, but they would look like thousands of dusty fiberglass blanks sorted by color. Every shape size and color. As this shop owner was something of a hoarder. And I'd love to provide more info, but with every size from 12" to 6ft and every action from Ultralight to "pool cue", and no writing whatsoever... I wouldn't even know where to start.
I apologize for being long winded... but I am here, as I said, hat in hand looking for some true knowledge from the experts. I hope that you'll keep me as a member in your forum and I plan to contribute in the future and NEVER plan to solicit here. I am here because I trust outdoorsmen, I'm here to absorb and learn, here to enjoy he wealth of knowledge and do my part in helping to perpetuate the sport to figure generations.

#6 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

Interesting story Taylor,
You should really consider posting on fibreglass fly rod forum. Those guys are nuts about fibreglass, and they could maybe help identify some of the fly blanks.

#7 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

Glad to meet you Taylor. As the post above said, the Fiberglass forum guys will help you out. BTW,I'm one of those guys on that site too. I know you don't think that pics will be of service but trust me, I know you'll get a better understanding of what you have. Here is another thing. Who is the deceased dealer and do you know who he bought from? I'll give you a for instance. Most of the local guys around me, bought blanks from Dale Clemens many years ago. I lot of his purchases came from Lamiglas. I just bought about 50 blanks from a guy that bought some blems from Dale back in the 80's. I looked at them and found a small piece of tape on some of the butt sections and said, yep, Lamiglas graphite blanks.
BTW I fished that area that you live in. I'm glad to hear of a true brick and mortar shop. Kudos to you. I know that area and it's about 3-4 hrs from my door. Oneida is a great fishing hole. I only fished it once but go up to Black lake on occasion,along with the 1000 islands and the salmon river. I'll have to get up there this year and meet you.
Look me up on my site and give me a call. Take some pics and get ready to send these out to me and some other people that I know.

Randy

#8 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hey guys! Glad to be getting few responses. And Randy, glad to make an acquaintance so close to home! The internet is a big place. I had a few PM's recommending fiberglass fly rod forum and I'm one step ahead on that.

A good friend from Utica that builds beautiful rods recommended this forum and fiberglass fly rods. I registered there about a month ago, thinking that would be the best place to start and I'm still pending approval. I sent them an email last week and still haven't heard back. My guess is that their "describe yourself" section didn't appeal to them because I said that I'm looking for help and don't primarily fly fish.

I'll keep after it though, and in the meantime, I'll get some photos tonight after work to post. I have been dealing with Lang's auction service for some of the vintage tackle, a whole mess of cork, reel seats, guides, tips, and over 300 bamboo blanks.

The owner, John Ganung, is a very knowledgeable guy and has wrapped his share of rods in a previous life, but he said the same thing as me... some are definitely unmistakable and others may be high end blanks. But, without labels it's really tough to say :(

The rods, tackle, and rod building stuff came from a shop in Utica called "TackleMart". The owner, Charlie Sikora, had a basement FULL when he passed away. My guess is, like me, he had his eggs in a lot of baskets to stay afloat in a tough business. Most of the rods that I've got are Horrocks Ibots on (H-I), Gladding, South Bend, Harnell, and a bunch of randoms mixed in. My guess is... he bought out the last of the H-I stuff left in utica. Unfortunately, that'd pretty much be a dead end as far as the blanks go.

Like I said, I'll get some photos up. Rods and blanks are the toughest to photograph but I'll show you guys my MASS of stuff and you'll begin to see why im reaching out for info to protect my sanity. Haha. Some people have a fishing room.. I have a fishing house, with a 500 Sq foot "Rod Room" and 4 other rooms (kitchen included) with overflow haha. Thanks again everyone!

#9 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

I'm having trouble uploading photos. My phone takes pictures around 1mb or more. The max file size I can upload is 50kb. Any suggestions?

#10 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

This should work... please let me known if it doesnt. I took some quick photos of the basement, the ones that you see that look like a jumble of rods is how they were delivered to me. Absolute disaster!

http://s1178.photobu...Rods and Blanks

#11 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

Check out this pinned topic:

http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=27348

#12 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:46 AM

Ah-ha! Thanks!

#13 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:48 AM

Screenshot_2015-02-03-19-44-18.png

Test. Here's what I started with, 24' trailer. Looked like they used a backhoe to empty the basement. It broke my heart..but we did what we could

#14 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:56 AM

This is just ONE room full of fiberglass rods/sections after we cleared the trailer. I know it looks bad, but we took a TON of care gently removing each rod piece by piece without hurting anything worse than it already had been.

20150203_185627.jpg

20150203_185552.jpg

#15 HometownBait

HometownBait
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:14 AM

And now for the good stuff... please remember that photos don't do ANY justice to the sheer volume that's shown. It's overwhelming haha even for the few seasoned builders that ive shown..
20150203_184957.jpg

20150203_183651.jpg

20150203_183637.jpg

Every shape size and color...20150203_184153.jpg

20150203_184108.jpg

Some closeups that I chose...like I said, I didn't know where to start.
20150203_184218.jpg

20150203_184326.jpg

One of the only tags in the whole thing. Including tape.

20150203_185150.jpg

20150203_184432.jpg

Dark forest green, not black

20150203_184802.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users