New to building, some stupid?

7 replies to this topic

#1 coastrider

coastrider
  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Rod building, fly tying and fly fishing

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Well, i've finally decided to do my first build this winter as I need to fill some gaps in the rod closet. I'm gonna start with a Batson RX7 9' 4wt. The problem I have is finding salt water friendly components to fit. This sizing of parts is a total mystery to me. I have the guide spacing chart from Batson and it gives a suggested guide to use, how ever I dont know if they would be ok for salt water applications. My Beulah uses a Pacbay reel seat and guides and they seem to be good quality. On the other end of the spectrum my Amundson has god knows what guides and they are wearing out at an alarming rate. Either way, I would like a nice reel seat with either a cork insert or something that would be unaffected by salt. Sometimes I need to drive a few hours before they get washed off. Any recommendations on salt water hardware for a little 4wt would be great, even some pointers on where to start my first build would be awesome. Thanks,Ed

Oh, this will be used primarily for searun Cuttthroat trout:)

#2 wjensen

wjensen
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

When you look at hardware on Batson's site (or elsewhere) some of the reel seats mention saltwater (like the Forecast Y with aluminum insert) or parts where the aluminum has been anodized will work as well. When you look at their guides some mention corrosion resistance.

When you say you're confused on sizing, do you mean reel seats? If so, the blank description includes a column for the butt which is the outer diameter (OD) of the blank at the base - for example the 9' 4wt 4 piece rod is .390". Reel seats give an interior diameter (I.D.) in mm and inches, you want the seat to be able to fit over the butt of the rod. If it's a bit bigger you can make up the difference with tape or an arbor, though I'd watch that the ID of the seat isn't a lot greater than the OD of the butt

I'm sure some of the folks who build saltwater rods will chime in with specifics, but thought I'd offer what I can.

#3 coastrider

coastrider
  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Rod building, fly tying and fly fishing

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (wjensen @ Nov 12 2012, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you look at hardware on Batson's site (or elsewhere) some of the reel seats mention saltwater (like the Forecast Y with aluminum insert) or parts where the aluminum has been anodized will work as well. When you look at their guides some mention corrosion resistance.

When you say you're confused on sizing, do you mean reel seats? If so, the blank description includes a column for the butt which is the outer diameter (OD) of the blank at the base - for example the 9' 4wt 4 piece rod is .390". Reel seats give an interior diameter (I.D.) in mm and inches, you want the seat to be able to fit over the butt of the rod. If it's a bit bigger you can make up the difference with tape or an arbor, though I'd watch that the ID of the seat isn't a lot greater than the OD of the butt

I'm sure some of the folks who build saltwater rods will chime in with specifics, but thought I'd offer what I can.

Thanks, all info is good info to me. That definatly cleared up alot of my thoughts.

#4 Bech

Bech
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hi,

Most of the rods I build are used in salt water (sea run brown trout, mainly). Normally they will be #4-7.

I find that the ABS reel seat from REC is a very good and light choice for a 4 weight rod. You can use their stabilized/impregnated woods as inserts - or choose a cork insert. Cork / black hardware actually looks quite nice and will give you a very light seat. As for guides, I have used chrome guides from Pacific Bay and H&H with good results. REC Recoils are also very good in the salt. The Black Pearl version seem to be slicker than the regular Recoils.

Claus

#5 patcrisci

patcrisci
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (Bech @ Nov 13 2012, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Most of the rods I build are used in salt water (sea run brown trout, mainly). Normally they will be #4-7.

I find that the ABS reel seat from REC is a very good and light choice for a 4 weight rod. You can use their stabilized/impregnated woods as inserts - or choose a cork insert. Cork / black hardware actually looks quite nice and will give you a very light seat. As for guides, I have used chrome guides from Pacific Bay and H&H with good results. REC Recoils are also very good in the salt. The Black Pearl version seem to be slicker than the regular Recoils.

Claus

the fuji graphite seats are great for saltwater -- they won't rust or corrode and are very lightweight. check them out here [/url] http://www.jannsnetc...uji/230470.aspx

#6 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Why not carry a gallon milk jug with some water to do a quick rinse and then thoroughly clean them when you get home?

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#7 Bech

Bech
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (patcrisci @ Dec 29 2012, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the fuji graphite seats are great for saltwater -- they won't rust or corrode and are very lightweight. check them out here [/url] http://www.jannsnetc...uji/230470.aspx

Yes. Fujis are very good in the salt and I used them a lot years ago when good anodized fly rod seats were hard to find. I just don't like the look of them on fly rods. And my ABS seats show no sign of corrosion.
Claus

#8 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

You can also use the anodized skeletons with an acrylic insert, or possibly go with a full anodized seat as pictured. As always, you should clean and maintain them after usage regardless of the conditions used in. Also have a solid titanium skeleton available.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users