Photo

Guide Sizing

1 reply to this topic

#1 Beale_Bass

Beale_Bass
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hey guys, got a question that I'm sure someone here can answer!

I'm working on making 4 downrigger rods for Kokanee out of Lamiglas FL-965 blanks--topic here.

I'm going to use the static method of guide placement, but guide sizes have become a bit of an issue. Carlin's Guide Calculator is awesome, but it can't really help me in this project, for obvious reasons. I'm also hesitant to use guide sizes from other trolling rods, since these are fly rod blanks.

I posted on Lamiglas' Rod Guru forum, but I haven't heard back yet.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Frank
Well, what are you waiting for? Go catch some Kokanee!

#2 rubberneck

rubberneck
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

A blank is a blank is a blank. It will have no idea wether or not it is being built as a spinning, casting, center pin, or fly rod. There is no reason why you cant use the exact same guides as on your other trolling rods. That being said it is very possible that you can improve on what your current rods have. I generally try to use the smallest possible guides that will still pass any connections. So if i dont need to pass any connections i will often use size 3 micro guides as my runners with 1 butt guide and maybe 1 transition sized guide. There really is no reason to step down through a bunch of different sizes of guides. Based on the pics of those other rods, im guessing they have like a size 12 butt guide and then the guides step down in size from there. If you are wanting to stay within a similar design i would say use a size 12 then a size 8 then run size 6 guides out to the tip. If you dont need to pass any knots you could really go down as small as you want on the running guides. Since the rods sit in holders all day and dont get cast you dont gain a huge advantage by going smaller, but it does make for a really nice light overall package. One caution on using very small guides is that they seem to ice up faster if you are fishing in freezing conditions. Other than that i cant think of any negatives.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users