Photo

New Guide Concept for Fly and Casting Rods

12 replies to this topic

#1 Javaman

Javaman
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Does anyone have a link to the Tom Kirkman New Guide Concept for fly and casting rods? I found it for spinning rods but I don't build those (yet)

Thanks!

#2 baitwaister

baitwaister
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

The NGC method is only for spinning rods. It is a method of "choking" down the line spiral that comes off a spinning reel.

#3 Javaman

Javaman
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (baitwaister @ May 3 2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The NGC method is only for spinning rods. It is a method of "choking" down the line spiral that comes off a spinning reel.

The following link http://www.rodbuildi...y/rmmindex.html indicates that there is an article for fly and casting rods too.

I would love to read it if anyone knows the link.

Thanks

#4 Bruce Johnstone

Bruce Johnstone
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

As Baitwaster stated NGC is a method to tame or choke the spiral of the line coming off the reel. On a fly rod the line is already off the reel in your hand and on a casting reel the line comes off the reel in a straight line so niether of these reels needs to "tame the line". There is no NGC for fly or casting rods.

#5 baitwaister

baitwaister
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Tom Kirkman occasionally post on here and is a sponsor so maybe he will chime in. Also since you got your link off of RBO why not go ask the question there also.

#6 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

You can buy the issues of RodMaker magazine that have the articles, if they are all gone Tom has CDs of articles, or magazines.

#7 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (baitwaister @ May 3 2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been thinking about this for sometime and I'm wondering why this method/system is only for spinning rods and why would it not work for fly rods?

Understand I've not built (read finished) anything but fly rods so my knowledge is very limited on other type of builds.

I can understand why it would be difficult for a casting rod/revolver rod but why wouldn't this method work on a fly rod?
“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#8 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

The NGC for casting and spinning rods is to simply use lower and smaller guides (as small as will pass your line and any required connections).

Unlike spinning rods, casting and fly rods do not feed line in large coils that have to be contained and controlled.

#9 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Tom Kirkman @ May 22 2012, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The NGC for casting and spinning rods is to simply use lower and smaller guides (as small as will pass your line and any required connections).

Unlike spinning rods, casting and fly rods do not feed line in large coils that have to be contained and controlled.

Thank you Tom ... I was thinking about line slap when casting and this might/might not help or reduce this ...

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#10 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

The only thing I've ever suggested in that regard is to use a high-frame stripping guide (a spinning model) which will keep the line a little further from the blank at that point. The difference is very slight at best, but I prefer a high frame stripping guide on my rods.

#11 Larry Cowden

Larry Cowden
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

Just to make sure I am on the same page.  Micro Wave and Fuji both produce spinning and casing sets designed to "choke down" the line as you put it. Both systems have very good videos out showing the difference in line behavior when using their guide systems versus the standard spinning and casting sets. Fuji refers to theirs as "concept guides".  Are these the same as Tom's New Guide Concepts?  

#12 Cody

Cody
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

I build most of my fly rods with a higher framed stripper guide.

#13 fishbum

fishbum
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

Shooting line on spey rods using modern lines does  feed line in large unruly coils.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users