Photo

Cutting rod

8 replies to this topic

#1 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

If u have a rod that the butt is about 2-3" longer than u like can u cut it & install a new butt. If so what would be the best way to cut it off

#2 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

I've been checking out your other threads and it seems that you are new to rod building. Not a bad thing, just I wanted to get a feel for the rod that you're building and what you're trying to accomplish.

Yes, you can cut the butt of a rod and it is best to use a sharp saw. I use a dremel wheel for cutting. I tape up the area and then cut it with the wheel. You can use a sharp file too. Tape up the are so that you don't get splits in the carbon material.

As for wrapping the microwave guides, you wrap them the same as any guide. If your using the wicrowave guides, it tells you on the instructions included with the guides set,where to place the guides. For more information with spinning guides, read up on the 27X theory. Also, Fugi has A SYSTEM ON HOW TO MOUNT YOUR GUIDES. You'll need to do some reading and some background on installing the guides before you dive into this. Yes, you can mount the guides any old place but you want to get the best out of your product and the rod itself.

Randy

#3 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:38 AM

I'm asking questions & doing some research, probably going to wait for winter to start, will be looking to build some bass rods spinning & casting in the 6'8" - 7'6" range

#4 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

Any links

#5 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

Links??? Hell, your here!! Take a look around and talk with some of the builders. They will guide you on what is good and bad. There are a bunch of links out there but most are from kids trying their new GoPro out and pretending they are the new Gary Loomis. It's up to you. Talk with some seasoned guys that build rods for years and know the industry or go onto You Tube and see some kid build his 3rd rod---and tell you this is the BEST way to build one.

Randy

#6 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Cut the rod/butt caps off today with hacksaw & tape, ordered 2 new Eva butt caps, winding checks & pro-paste. Cut 2.75" off

#7 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

Do I need to put a finish over the winding check? Don't have any & no wrapper or dryer stand

#8 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

No.

Those are things you will want to obtain, however.

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#9 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Cut about 3" off butt, only had a sanding block to shave down butt, cut the butt cap shorter

e892f21b8542c1afa3c33e21dd01d6ac.jpg
6e318f5de55a2e6e66f2cff2c6430809.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users