• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kblosch

kblosch
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Skiing, Rod Building, Fly Tying

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

I am building a 14' Surf Rod. What is the recommended spine location? Top or Bottom of the Blank

Thanks,

Kirk

#2 rrjansen

rrjansen
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

Seems to me, a rod that long would work best with the spine in the position where the rod tip is down.  Have you thought about trying a spiral guide set up where the tip top ends up in the down position.  Not sure it would work on something that big though.  Good luck!

#3 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

the way books show it ?? diff for spinning or casting ??  lot of the builders go for the  straightest  line on the blank ? good question don't know, what is the correct way ? it is your rod , 

#4 Ghostrider

Ghostrider
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:27 AM

I have always built with the spine on top on my surf rods. I use Alvey side-cast reels and blanks in the 12-14ft range.

They are low mount with short timber butts.

I haven't built for a overhead/baitcaster style reel but assume I would build spine on top still for them as the rod will still load the same way. Just need to remember to build on top of the spine for these.

You need to be careful as the spine is sometimes not straight and the rod can tend to twist under load so you might need to allow for that in positioning your reel seat..

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users