Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

Are there any Specialty tools you don't have Chris? bugeyes.gif

#32 Toneloc

Toneloc
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:51 PM

Hey Chris,

Is there published figures out there for heat treating cane or did you determine your time and temps through trial and error?

What are you using for an oven?

Tony

#33 Sticky

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

Did you make that beveler? It looks great! I imagine that cuts quite a bit of time.

You said that the strips are floppy when they come out of the oven, do they require any special handling while they cool to insure straightness?

When's you book coming out? headbang.gif

#34 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:56 PM

Are there any Specialty tools you don't have Chris?

Hmm. Maybe a couple, but I've got those on order. wink.gif

Is there published figures out there for heat treating cane or did you determine your time and temps through trial and error?

What are you using for an oven?

There are a lot of differing opinions on heat treating. A lot of information can be found at Bamboorodmaking.com. Really though it mostly comes down to trial and error. dunno.gif

I have an oven that Bret Reiter made for me.

Did you make that beveler?

You said that the strips are floppy when they come out of the oven, do they require any special handling while they cool to insure straightness?

The beveler is from JW Bamboo Flyrods.

Nothing special for handling the bamboo when it comes out of the oven except for some oven mitts. smile.gif I simply lay them down on a flat bench to cool.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#35 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

We're now ready to get down to planing. The first thing to do is to bust out the planes and sharpen and touch up the blades. The three I'll be working with are a 212 scraping plane, and two block planes, one with a rodmaker's groove.
user posted image

I have a very nice Tormek grinder that makes sharpening go very quickly. One wheel on the machine is a 800 grit Japanese sharpening stone and is for heavy shaping.
user posted image

The other is a leather wheel, or strop, that is used for polishing and touch up.
user posted image

Using the leather wheel for most touch up work, I only have to use the stone wheel once every dozen or so times I have to sharpen the blades. That is about 4-6 rods worth.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#36 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:10 PM

Now that we've got our tools ready, it is time to set the forms. Following a standard chart, I set the depth on the planing forms for the butt section of the rod at each 5" station.
user posted image

Here I've just set the 80" station:
user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#37 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

We're all set for the actual planing. I begin my making a few marks on the forms, one for the cuttoff point, and another (arrows) for the end of the current strip. By aligning each strip to the arrows, it is easy to be assured the node placement and dimensions will be consistent when we assemble the strips.
user posted image

I start planing by making 1-2 passes on each of the non-enamel sides of the strip to smooth out any bumps or chatter marks left by the beveler and to clean up the 60* angles. I set my non-grooved plane to remove curls .005-.007" thick. I use two clamps to hold the strip as I'm planing.
user posted image

After the smoothing passes, it is time to work on the enamel side of the strip. The idea is to remove the enamel, which adds no strength to the strip, and flatten the slightly curved face so we can more easily get accurate dimensions.

Using a sanding block I gently sand each of the nodes and then feel for any bumps.
user posted image

If I find a node that wasn't straightened enough earlier, I gently heat it, place it in the form and lock down the clamp on the high point. This compresses and flattens it as if it were in a vice.
user posted image

Next I make 1-2 passes using the 212 scraper plane to remove most of the rounded enamel.
user posted image

I clean up the rest of the enamel with a triangular scraper.
user posted image

After a final light sanding the strip is smooth, flat and ready to finish plane.
user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#38 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:32 PM

After cleaning up the enamel, I make another 2 or so passes on each side of the strip to smooth and clean up the edges. I then take a very close look at the entire length of the strip and note if there are any areas that I need to address such as chipped nodes, or split edges, etc. I start on that side of the cane, at the tip and work my way backwards in order to begin to taper the strip. When I am satisfied with the one side, I make a few passes using my grooved plane set at .001-.002 to give a nice smooth face to the cane.
user posted image

After flipping the strip and, again, using the non-grooved plane, beginning at the tip and working my way back using longer and longer strokes, I complete the taper of the strip until I'm about .010" from final dimensions. At that point I switch to the grooved plane and make the final few passes removing thin, waxy shavings, until I reach the top of the forms.
user posted image

I follow the same procedure for the other 5 strips on the butt section.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#39 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

After all 6 strips are complete, I put a piece of masking tape sticky-side-up on the bench and lay each strip, enamel side down, on the tape making sure they are all aligned, and each strip is in its proper order.
user posted image

The strips are then rolled up and secured by a few more rounds of tape.
user posted image

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier, and no one seemed to catch rolleyes.gif is how I kept the strips in the color-coded order that they came off of the culm in after beveling. Before I ran them through the beveler, I made a thin saw cut on the enamel side of each one with a mark that corresponded to a color. When assembled, I simply have to make sure I put the strips on the tape in the order of the cuts/color.
user posted image

Over the next few days I'll finish the tip strips in preparation for glueing.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#40 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

Chris, this is a really great thread you did for us. It's the MOST comprehensive explanation of building I've seen yet.

I'm following it very, very closely, with deep interest because I'm just beginning to consider building and want to find out as much as I can about those technical details that make all the difference.

I understand there's a lot of questions to be had if one gets into detail but you're presenting a really good series of steps here.

I can't believe it took me this long to find you guys!

Jeremy.

#41 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the kind words Jeremy. It is nice to know folks are getting some use out of it.

I finished planing the tip sections this afternoon. Not much to show here as it is the exact same process as the butt section shown above, just with smaller dimensions.

6 strips ready to be ordered and assembled:
user posted image

Taped and ready to roll-up:
user posted image

The three rod sections ready for glueing:
user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#42 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:46 PM

Next up is glueing the blank. I begin by cutting the masking tape that is holding the strips together, and rolling them out flat.

user posted image

Using a sanding block with 320 grit paper I carefully sand off the apex of the strips, moving only from butt to tip, so that, when rolled up, there is enough room at the center of the section for all 6 strips to converge.
user posted image

The sections are then carefully cleaned of all remaining dust. At this point I double check to make sure I have everything ready. As I'm using Titebond 3, I don't have much time to glue, bind and straighten, so I like to be sure all my tools are handy. Once I make sure I have my binder setup, brush ready, brayer nearby, and a bowl of water and a moist rag, I'm ready to begin. I apply a quick bead of glue on one of the sections.
user posted image

Using a cheap toothbrush (bought off of eBay for something like $10 for 100) I cover the entire section thoroughly. Again, being careful to work only butt to tip so that the brush doesn't grab or split any bamboo slivers.
user posted image

It is then into the binder.
user posted image

I don't have any pictures of this process as it is so messy, but basically I bind the section, wipe it off with a damp rag, roll each flat with a brayer to settle the strips, then carefully but quickly straighten the section. Once it begins to setup I hang it up to cure and move on to the next section.
user posted image

Tomorrow the sections will be dry enough for me to begin cleaning off the binding string, and sanding off the glue.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#43 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:26 PM

I took a few minutes this morning and took the string off of the sections that were glued last night. So far they are looking good! I'll be able to get some measurements once the sanding and clean up begins.

user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#44 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

With the string removed, it is now time to get rid of the remaining glue and clean up the blank.

I begin with a sharp cabinet scraper and remove most of the hardened glue.
user posted image

Next, using a sanding block with 320 grit Norton 3x sandpaper (the best!) I carefully sand the blank until all of the pale glue remnants are gone.
user posted image

user posted image

Once I have finished all 3 sections, I polish the blank using some oil-free 0000 steel wool, specifically looking for any remaining glue or other imperfections.

The last step in the blank construction is to seal it. I don't think this step is completely necessary, and many makers skip it, but I like to seal the blank at this point for a couple reasons. First it keeps any oil or other contaminates from soaking into or otherwise marring the blank, and second if there is ever a breech in the varnish, I know there is still a sealer coat underneath that provides at least some protection.

I use a concoction called Mike's Stuff from Mike Brooks. I apply it by generously rubbing it in using a piece of saturated steel wool. Once the Stuff begins to tack (just a minute or two) I wipe it all off using a clean rag and hang it to cure. The Stuff is designed to cure completely in about an hours time. Since we'll be dipping the rod in spar varnish later, I won't bother applying any further coats.
user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#45 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:32 AM

Chris, a question regarding your Tormek water wheel.

When the wheel face needs flattening do you have a procedure you'd care to share on how, and how often, you do it?

I'm searching for a different sharpening method. I am a serious woodworker also and do my sharpening using a 6" hand driven wheel that gives me a hollow grind to my blades but it never hurts to get more info./ education.

And, the look of that cleaned cane blank...it does something to a boy!

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users