Photo

A New Guide Calculator

65 replies to this topic

#16 Tyler Brinks

Tyler Brinks
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

That's what I'm talking about. That'll keep me busy for the weekend.

#17 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

I had been working on getting Wine working on 10.7 because Apple did something to the new version that broke Wine. I was not having much luck. This is a perfect solution.

While it worked for me in Wine, I used this sheet to record a lot of information on each rod. This info went in the rod's file so I could pull it up later if I needed to to duplicate a section or whatever. If you notice on the original, you could change the guide sizes which I did as I do like Ron with the sizes of my guides.

I think all of the input should be in input boxes rather than drop downs to maximise versatility, too.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#18 ANR

ANR
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

A nicee addition , at least for me, will be to able to use metric system dry.gif

#19 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

I agree that a metric option would be great. I had been asked previously and wanted to program that in but never found the time to do it.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#20 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

I used this sheet to record a lot of information on each rod. This info went in the rod's file so I could pull it up later if I needed to to duplicate a section or whatever. If you notice on the original, you could change the guide sizes which I did as I do like Ron with the sizes of my guides.

Kevin, did you print out the results? Or screenshot? Or some other method? Just curious how you stored the results.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#21 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (Tyler Brinks @ Jun 14 2013, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Improvements?
Naturally I'm not interested in delivering something and walking away. My hope is that you (the community at large) will provide suggestions and feedback to make the tool better over time. I'm offering to consider any and all suggestions which would improve the tool and incorporate them into the tool (or perhaps make additional tools). Since it's online, updates become immediately available.

Thanks again for doing this. I played with this today my only complaint is that I can't figure out how to add more than 12 guides. Am I not doing something right?

Things that would be nice to have

My ideas are probably a programmers nightmare ... and probably confusing

1 - The ability to choose inches or metric.

Then for those of us that have this theory or habit of "placing a guide on every female ferrule" since you have to wrap it anyways.

2 - To be able to set the number of sections and the length of each section the rod has 'tip to butt' (2, 3, 4, 5 etc) for more accurate/better guide spacing.
“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#22 Tyler Brinks

Tyler Brinks
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (ANR @ Jun 14 2013, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A nicee addition , at least for me, will be to able to use metric system dry.gif

ANR - absolutely, metric is a great idea. Right now we're rounding to the 1/16 of an inch. Would millimeter precision work for you? I can easily do an imperial to metric conversion, but I'll have to round to some usable unit.

Kevin - Making each field a text box is a fine idea. I started with the idea of preventing typos by way of drop downs, but it's incredibly simple to change them. Consider it done.

rhossack - I like the rod segment idea. I'm working with Chris on a Cattanach calculator. That lets you center measurements on any guide, and might achieve what you're looking for. I'll do a bit of research and see where it makes the most sense to consider rod sections.

#23 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Carlin @ Jun 14 2013, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used this sheet to record a lot of information on each rod. This info went in the rod's file so I could pull it up later if I needed to to duplicate a section or whatever. If you notice on the original, you could change the guide sizes which I did as I do like Ron with the sizes of my guides.

Kevin, did you print out the results? Or screenshot? Or some other method? Just curious how you stored the results.

I would make the changes I could, like guide sizes and type, then just hit the print button and a dialog popped up for me to choose a printer. I added handwritten notes for other stuff and it got filed with the work order and other related documents.

Your original was one of the better operating apps I had used with Wine until OSX 10.7.

Kevin

#24 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (rhossack @ Jun 15 2013, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks again for doing this. I played with this today my only complaint is that I can't figure out how to add more than 12 guides. Am I not doing something right?

This is why I wanted input boxes instead of drop downs. In current form, you can not add more than 12 guides.
Kevin

#25 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Kevin.

I would make the changes I could, like guide sizes and type

This really makes me laugh. The 'feature' that you are describing of being able to change the data in the guide spacing and guide size fields before printing was something that I both didn't know existed until you mentioned it in this thread and was completely accidental. I simply forgot to 'lock' those fields and make them non-editable. Now that I tried it I can really see the advantage.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#26 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

ANR - absolutely, metric is a great idea. Right now we're rounding to the 1/16 of an inch. Would millimeter precision work for you? I can easily do an imperial to metric conversion, but I'll have to round to some usable unit.

I'll answer for ANR here in case he doesn't see the post: Rounding to the nearest MM would be ideal. There is no reason to go any finer than that and CM scale would be a bit too broad.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#27 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

2 - To be able to set the number of sections and the length of each section the rod has 'tip to butt' (2, 3, 4, 5 etc) for more accurate/better guide spacing.

This would be tricky from a formula standpoint. Programming shouldn't be too hard, you'll just have a lot of variables to work with: # of sections, section length, # of guides on each section, etc. I'll kick it around a little bit and see if I can figure out a good way to make the necessary calculations.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#28 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Carlin @ Jun 15 2013, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would be tricky from a formula standpoint. Programming shouldn't be too hard, you'll just have a lot of variables to work with: # of sections, section length, # of guides on each section, etc. I'll kick it around a little bit and see if I can figure out a good way to make the necessary calculations.

Thanks Chris ...

Usually I'm very good at confusing folks with my thinking and getting it to the written word ...

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#29 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Carlin @ Jun 14 2013, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My best guess for the Cattanach system is as follows:

Carlin,

Thanks for writing that up.
I've reverse engineered your calculator (based on the Art Sheck formula) including rounding and use it as the starting point on most of my rods.

So are there any other guide spacing formula's that people use?

Carl

#30 ANR

ANR
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Tyler Brinks @ Jun 15 2013, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES millimeter précision Will be fine.
I keep record of all my build in millimeter (round to 5mm, exemple 100mm/120mm/145mm/160mm).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users