Photo

Agate eyes

14 replies to this topic

#1 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:39 PM

I love them but I hate wrapping them--even worse with silk thread.. For the first time I'll be mixing denatured alcohol with my finish (1:1:1)

I have some eyes coated in dark nickel and they have some awfully tall feet and would be impossible to wrap up.. In addition to that, they're in a shape that would form a pretty large tunnel which is why I'm going to be mixing alcohol with my finish for the first coat.. Under usual circumstances, I would just take a file to the edge and round the feet to make as natural of a transaction I could make but they're going to be transparent wraps and once i touch the coating it's not going to be a bright chrome.

I took a file to the bottom of the feet, the part that comes in contact with the blank and to the very edge of one of them so i could actually get the thread on top of the foot. I don't know what the feet are finished in or if I can refinish them with the agate in the eye. I thought abought touching the edges with a prismacolor marker to make it less noticeable but I don't know if it will bleed into the threads or not once the epoxy goes on.

If anybody had any ideas, they're much appreciated--and for those who appreciate agate, here you go!

0f7af22854.jpg

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

Here's how I do it:

I have a 2X4 with a shallow V cut into it.  I put my generic Dremel tool in it upside down and secure them to the edge of the work bench with a clamp.  I use a fine stone for grinding the foot.  I only do about 1/3 of the foot, making sure it tapers front to back and side to side.  I found if I don't do the sides, the thread has gaps in it.  After grinding, I polish the top and bottom of the foot with the same tool, using a felt wheel and white compound.  Wipe good with DNA.  I also use a loop of string through the guide and hold it between my fingers.  I had one fly guide catch and disappear in the shop.  Found it six months later in the drawer of the work bench.  Fortunately, a friend had an extra to finish the rod.  If you use CP, the foot shouldn't show.  I tried paint but the paint flaked off.  I use a black Sharpie.  Doesn't cover completely but make the wrap look OK.

Others may chime in here.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

I had this issue a while back and posted a similar topic, but I'm too lazy to link back to it....

I found no real acceptable solution to get the black nickel finish back on the guide feet that would match the color of rest of the guide frame. The only thing I did not try was a chemical bluing agent. Sharpies or other permanent markers came closest but if you reduce your epoxy with solvents it will bleed into the thread (disaster). The best result I had was grinding/filing the bottom of the guide feet and not touching the tops at all. It makes for a less than ideal wrapping situation but can still produce a decent result.

Since then, I have decided to stop reducing my epoxy after educating myself with a couple white papers on the weakening effects of adding solvents to epoxies. It makes achieving perfect transparency more difficult, but it can be done with careful finish application and a little heat.

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

dk, I found that if I didn't grind the sides along with the the foot, the thread would have spaces as it climbed up the foot, making it impossible to pack.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

dk, I found that if I didn't grind the sides along with the the foot, the thread would have spaces as it climbed up the foot, making it impossible to pack.

I found it difficult but not impossible. I find that the gaps are minimized if you pack threads as you go on the blank and let the thread do their own thing on the foot. After the wrap is complete, I burnish and pack on the foot.

With transparent silk wraps it doesn't really matter too much. The darker the color, or CPed threads, the more the thread gaps show.

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

Casey's Super Blue is about the closest match. I never even have to touch any of Joe Arguello's agate guides

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

dk, I wrap super slow as I pack each individual thread with a stainless steel spatula.  Big spinning guides are the worst as the foot is real thick. 

Should start charging by the hour. ;)

Rod,  I have a tube from days gone by.  Thanks for the tip.

John T.

#8 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

Thank you guys!

I used a Birchwood Casey's "Presto Bluing Pen" and it looks pretty decent.. at least good enough for me to be fairly confident it should look acceptable with some dark thread over them as long as nothing catastrophic happens when it meets the epoxy.

Maybe I should start ordering agate from Joe!

Now I just need to scratch my head over filling the tunnels; I've never had good penetration with the epoxy I use. I think it's flex coat regular, maybe I should invest in some Lite..

#9 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:44 AM

Maybe I should start ordering agate from Joe!
Now I just need to scratch my head over filling the tunnels; I've never had good penetration with the epoxy I use. I think it's flex coat regular, maybe I should invest in some Lite..

Joe's agate guides are premium quality....and you pay a premium price.

As far as filling tunnels, I use a 'lite' version of whatever finish. For the first coat I apply liberally starting at the tip of the guide foot working my way toward the eye. I basically put a big drop on and move to the next guide. When I get to the last guide, I go back to the first. It usually takes 3-4 trips down the rod for my process. After the tunnels are full, I removed excess epoxy with a dry brush. I can usually get bubbles to disappear with the heat from a hot cup of coffee. I also keep a small hypodermic needle around to go after stubborn bubbles. It's kind of cumbersome, but I have been really satisfied with my results lately.

Practice a lot. Good luck.

#10 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:49 AM

Should start charging by the hour. ;)

Indeed. I figure I end up making quite a bit less than minimum wage on some of my stuff. Depressing.

#11 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

dk, I wrap super slow as I pack each individual thread with a stainless steel spatula. 

Just curious John, but why pack every thread.  I find I rarely need to pack threads more often than just at the beginning and end of wrapping individual guides... well, at least on snake guides.  I do have to pack a little more often on stripping guides.  Is your single thread packing on every guide?  Or just guides with large feet like stripping guides?

Not saying there is a right way, just curious.

Harry

Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#12 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

This is why the Arguello agates are so easy to work with. This is exactly how they come prepped

JEA_zpsgjkvecbs.jpg

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#13 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

Those eyes are beautiful!

Here is what I'm working with now.. Not as nice as the ones from Joe but they should suffice.

3095095.jpg

#14 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:15 PM

Harry, I'm very picky.  My thread packs on very turn of the blank.  I use a SS spatula from my dissecting kit from college.  AS I turn, I put a bit of pressure on the thread to pack it up against the previous wrap. 

I saw a "custom rod" a while back that looked like crap.  There were a number of spaces between threads on just about all the guides.  I showed it to SWMBO.  She said I could do better..........right after I get her dining room table finished.  Thinking about taking a finished rod for "show-and-tell."

John T.

#15 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Harry, I'm very picky. ....  She said I could do better..........right after I get her dining room table finished. 

I completely understand about both being picky and spouses who seek to keep us busy with tasks other than those we might choose for ourselves.  That's why I spend far more time per rod than might be necessary.  And, that's why I'll be dragging a bush hog around my in-law's place this week rather than spending all week in the shop!  :)

But here's a quick photo -- just the first cp'd example I could find, of restoration work on an old Payne.  None of these threads were packed at every turn, yet I managed to make them look okay.

3.jpg

Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users