Photo

origin of a blank

4 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMunn

ChrisMunn
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

So Im curiuos to know exactly where a blank I have came from? The rod is a Cabelas Whuppin stick, model # WSSH80-2. What Im wondering is who makes the blanks for cabelas? Does Cabelas have their own factory turning out their own house brand blanks ir is there another company producing for them? Any idea where I could find that info, aside from calling them and asking directly?

#2 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

If you don't see the blank in their rodbuilding section it isn't available.

#3 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Cabelas does not have their own rod building factory. All of their rods, reels, line, clothes,etc. Gets made by other companies and they put labels on them for Cabelas. Cabelas puts out bids for the stuff and whomever accepts them or who gives them the best price,gets the bid. And the bid may only go for a year to year basis.
That doesn't mean that one factory makes all of their rods, just what they accepted as the bid. PacBay may supply the fly rods, Lamiglas may produce some casting rods,etc. Loomis may supply some of the higher end rods while AmTak or PacBay may supply the lower end rods of just one kind of rod, like the spinning rods.
Take for instance the fly lines. The prestege fly line is made by Cortland but the Prestege plus is made by Scientific Angler. You can buy the Prestege plus cheaper than the SI line on the same display board.

Also, this information is held pretty close to the vest,as Cabelas doesn't want this info released. If would hurt their sales with the parent company and the parent company could be hurt with future orders. In my conversation with Gary Loomis 2 years ago, he rattled off who he used to make rods for. He did Bass Pro, Cabelas, Browning,etc. He even made rods for these companies that he wouldn't sell himself. He didn't (and still doesn't) have any use for boron but made all of the boron rods for Bass Pro shops. He wasn't allowed to release that info when he owned the company(G.Loomis). Now, he does and he's proud to tell you he makes the rod blanks (spinning) for TFO and a few others. Why not? To use his name is a big deal and a great selling point.

There are very few companies on American soil that roll their own blanks. Part of their business is to supply rods to the bigger chain stores. Also, lets not forget that a lot of rods come over from the big pond.

Randy

#4 ChrisMunn

ChrisMunn
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

That's pretty interesting. I read a few other articles that are exactly in line with what you're saying. They were also saying that even tho someone like cabelas has a sub building their blanks, the blanks may not be to speck with whoever is building the rods for them. For example, G. Loomis may be rolling blanks and building rods for Cabelas, but G. Loomis is rolling the blanks to Cabelas specifications and using Cabelas "recipe" rather than the G. Loomis recipe for the blanks, making it a Cabelas rod and not a G. Loomis rod even tho it was built 100% by G. Loomis. And that way Cabelas can have any manufacturer produce the same rod no matter who's building it. If that makes sense?

So I guess there's no way of knowing where my blank came from and that's it's just a Cabelas Whuppin Stick. I was asking because I just stripped down a Whuppin Stick and built an all new rod out of it and was wondering if it was like an Ugly Stick or something?

#5 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

I have a Whuppin' Stick for steelhead aand it has the glass tip and feels a lot like the Uglies, but who knows who built it.

Mike

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users