A New Guide Calculator

65 replies to this topic

#61 Tyler Brinks

Tyler Brinks
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (salty hookers @ Jun 29 2013, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, very cool. Sorry if this question is dumb, but is this for fly rods only, or for any type rod. Im still learning and will be for years. Thank you in advance. Keith

I'd have to parlay to the more well rounded builders here on the forum. I've only built fly rods - I'm a bit of a trout snob. My guess (and I do mean guess) is that it would still be an okay starting point for spacing, but saltwater, jigging, etc... have a much different taper than your typical fly rod. I'm 100% sure the guide sizes would be wrong. I'd be happy to incorporate another calculator into the tool if anyone can recommend a system for calculating spacing and size for a given type of rod.

#62 westcoastsmokeshack

westcoastsmokeshack
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:40 AM

I get a Runtime Error when I click the link. dunno.gif

it did work for me ,,fly rods only it seems

#63 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

It was designed as a starting point for fly rods. On conventional type rods, there are way too many different configuration and formulas used on their guide train.   

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#64 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

FWIW, I have a spinning rod on the bench.  It is using the Aerowave guide system.  Instructions give a distance from the lip of the spool to the first guide and to the transition guide.  From there, the instructions are, IMHO, a big vague.  Had to tape the first two guides in place and them go "by guess and by golly" to get the six guides spaced properly.  Static test and casting test worked great!

The guide calculator is a work of art and has, to me, proven to be right on the money for spacing, etc.  I use it all the time and have printed off some of the more common rod lengths to keep in a file.

Carlin, thanks!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#65 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

Turn it over and read the back side of the instructions

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#66 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

I did and if I read it right, the regular spacing wouldn't fit into the space between the transition guide and the tip.  Anyway, got the guides spaced, grip and insert glued on.  Now to wrap the guides.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users