Trout diorama

6 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

I made this for the new office build and thought you guys might enjoy seeing it. Last week while at my cabin on a fishing trip I was picking up some of the downed trees and limbs that came down over the winter when I noticed a pretty cool looking dried out stump. When I see things like that I get all sorts of thoughts of things to make out of it swimming around in my head so I tossed it in the trunk before we headed back home. I ended up making this out of it. Basic idea of what I did was I made the base out of carved foam and then drylock coated it gray, glued some river rocks and branches, leaves and various things to make it look like a river log jam. Mounted the stump and then varnished and minwax clear urethane coated it. Mounted a 13" Rainbow trout fiberglass repo mount (from bass pro shops) and put a streamer with line in its mouth. Came out pretty cool and fits right in with the new office theme.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

That came out killer, I like it. Great addition for the office.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Steve, you never cease to amaze me! Great addition to the office.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#4 typhoon

typhoon
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

I love it. That trout looks great in that setting. I can just see it wrapping around the log.

#5 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ May 13 2013, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made this for the new office build and thought you guys might enjoy seeing it.

That looks great, but who dusts your shop? (the bonsai's wouldn't fair any better). If I had anything like that, it would be coated in a serious layer of dust.

Carl

#6 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

That stuff isn't hard to dust. Just put a wand on your air compressor and blow the dust from the top down, then sweep or vacuum it up. C'mon, man! quit thinking like a woman wants you to! hysterical.gif

Cool sculpture, Steve
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (kbproctor @ May 14 2013, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That stuff isn't hard to dust. Just put a wand on your air compressor and blow the dust from the top down, then sweep or vacuum it up. C'mon, man! quit thinking like a woman wants you to! hysterical.gif

Cool sculpture, Steve

Yep Kev nailed it. I use my shop vac which has the reverse flow outlet and just blow the dust off things like this then sweep the floor. Makes life easy that way.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users