Attending the ICRBE last month inspired me to knock out some lingering projects. Here's a Sage ESN I glued up last week. It's been laying around in pieces for almost a year. Whipped up the fighting butt over the weekend.
I was contacted back in November by another rodbuilder. He said he wanted one of my cool cork grips for a swimbait rod he was building. Having a vague idea in my mind as to what I wanted to do, I started cutting up cork and gluing it back together, just to cut it up again and glue it back together..
Around Christmas, I had the middle section done, but didn't know how to finish up the 4" or so on each end. One morning in February, I woke up and it came to me........I'll try a fade. I cut up more cork and glued it back together and ended up with this. Shipped it out last week.
I was asked to take part in a rods for soldiers project on another forum. Batson Enterprises donated the components and
myself and 3 other builders put together 4 rods. They were shipped and delivered this week. I've been sitting on these
pics for a couple weeks because I couldn't post them til the project was announced. Since my forte is cork and reel seats,
I declined the pre-fab grips and did my own thing.
Butt cap with Army insignia inlay.
I wanted to do more with the grip but a technique I have been experimenting with wasn't working out and I was under a deadline.
The reel seat hardware provided wouldn't work with my plans of using acrylic, so I substituted in Fuji SK2 hardware.
I had a bit of scrap left from the reel seat, so I turned a matching winding check.