Spin/Fly combo rod?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zuren

zuren
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

I'm interested in picking up, or building, a combo spin/fly rod.  I see that there are a number of commercial options out there (eg, Orvis Encounter Spin/Fly, LL Bean Spin/Fly) but everything I've seen comes as a complete fishing kit - reels, case, etc.  I don't need more reels or a fancy carry case, and a couple are pretty expensive.  Has anyone built such a rod?

Here is what I'm thinking:
  • 3-4 piece blank
  • Spinning weight - Light action, 2-6lb test line
  • Fly weight - 4-5wt line
  • 7-8.5 ft.
  • OK if it is a slightly better fly rod vs. spinning
I'm trying to get my head around what type of blank would work, as well as guides and handle.  Rather than have 2 butt sections like some of the combos have, I'm wondering if I can get away with a handle that does spinning and fly "well enough".  This rod will be focused on being light and compact for backpacking, bikepacking, and car trips with the family (when fishing is available but not the main focus).  On dedicated fishing trips, it will mostly be me so there will be room for my other 2 piece, purpose-built rods. 

Some assumptions I'm making (that could be wrong so please correct me):
  • Use a fly rod blank vs. a spinning rod blank - Jann's Netcraft has a 4 pc, 8 ft., 5wt fly blank that looks promising (link)
  • Use a spey/switch rod style handle (smaller rear grip, larger front grip), or equal length grips front and rear of the seat (rear = spinning, front = fly)
  • Use small spinning rod guides
This article from 2009 lends some support for what I would like to do:

http://www.fieldands...-reels-fly-rods

I would love to hear from anyone who has built a rod like this; tips, experience, good/bad idea, etc.!

Thanks!

#2 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:36 PM

There are a couple things you need to figure out.
1. Does it need to store in a tube like a fly rod? If it does, guide height will be a concern as it doesn't take much to make this difficult.
2. There are a couple ways to go, a Tennessee grip so you can put the reel anywhere on it's length, or get two blanks and build a fly and spinning grip on each butt section.
Take a look at the rods built by The Worried Shrimp, he has a few he built that are heavier powered than what your doing, but all the things he did would be relavent on any rod.

#3 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

I built a few using a 7 pc fly blank that was a 5wt. I made the bottom section into a ten style cork grip and put reel rings on to hold the reel. The stripper guide was a flexible #20 spinning guide and the #10 and then from there, I used single foot minima guides to the tip. The mono worked well, as did the 5 wt line. It worked well. I think they get used more for spinning than fly but you have that option.

Randy

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

I did mine with a separate butt section. This is a 6wt A/T 5p Black Matrix blank.  Opted for MicroWave guides and performs both duties quite well

j8ify1.jpg

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users