Photo

Thread color w/ epoxy

5 replies to this topic

#1 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

So I wrapped my guides on, put epoxy on, then noticed one foot from a guide was messed up. Took the time to take the epoxy off, actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be! Then I wrapped it back up and epoxied it soon there after. The odd thing is that it now looks like it's a different color thread. The other wraps I did about a week ago, then put the epoxy on. This one I put the epoxy on about 2 minutes after I wrapped it.Using color fast thread. Is the color difference because the others were done and sat for a week? I'm worried that after the epoxy fully dries I'm going to have to take it off yet again and re-wrap it and let it sit for a bit and then epoxy it. Any info is greatly appreciate!

#2 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

Well...I figured it out. I ran out of thread with the last guide and the tip top to go. So I ordered the same thread. Wouldn't you know it's a different shade than the other one I had. So the last guide and the tip top is lighter than the rest (just noticed that today). And the one foot of the one that I had to fix is also the lighter color. This is not good. Any ideas on how to fix this other than starting all over with another blank so the colors match? Thanks!

iTX34wb.jpg

#3 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

Thats a huge difference.  You sure the first spool was color fast ?  I would almost bet something was mis-marked.  

#4 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

I emailed mudhole and shared the pic with them. It should be the same thing but obviously it's pretty off so I'm not sure what to do. Guess I'll start on making another one tomorrow.

Thats a huge difference.  You sure the first spool was color fast ?  I would almost bet something was mis-marked.  

#5 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

Nope, nothing you can do but start over.  It's the dye lot.  As long as your spools come from the same dye lot, you're fine, but if they are from different dye lots, they'll never be identical. 

My mom used to knit a lot, and that was something she had to be careful with.  When she started a project, she had to make sure all the yarn came from the same dye lot.  Of course, on skeins of yarn, the dye lot is marked....

#6 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

Nope, nothing you can do but start over.  It's the dye lot.  As long as your spools come from the same dye lot, you're fine, but if they are from different dye lots, they'll never be identical. 

My mom used to knit a lot, and that was something she had to be careful with.  When she started a project, she had to make sure all the yarn came from the same dye lot.  Of course, on skeins of yarn, the dye lot is marked....

That's what I was afraid of, oh well, live and learn. Thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users