Photo

3 wt length

4 replies to this topic

#1 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

After making 4 5 wt Perfectionists, I want to branch out a bit and am thinking about making a 3 wt rod using another taper. My original thought was a 9' rod to get some extra distance and I've already got two 7'-6" 3 wt graphite rods (from before I caught the Bamboo Bug). I hollow-built the Perfectionists and they balanced nicely (which incidentally taught me that you can balance a bamboo rod and that it makes a lot of difference in casting it) but I'm not so sure that I can do that with a 9' rod without adding significant extra weight at the reel seat. So, I'm wondering if making a 9' rod is worth the effort. This rod would most likely be used lake fishing from a boat for panfish and bass. I'm thinking about using either the Cattanach Sir D taper as the design basis or the Montague 9' 3 wt taper. However, I am by no means focused on a particular taper at this point and am certainly open to advice on that subject.

You guys have always been wonderful sources of advice so I thought I'd come here to pick your brains.

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#2 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

I do not think you will be happy with a 9' #3. Either the butt will be so stiff that you wind up with a 6 foot rod with a 3 foot unbending handle, or so wimpy that you can drink a cup of coffee waiting for the loop to unroll while casting. For that matter, I've never cast a nine foot bamboo rod that did not feel excessively heavy, and very few eight and a half foot bamboo rods feel good.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Harry
Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#3 aracane

aracane

aracane

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Typically bamboo rods work best in 8 foot and shorter lengths. If you want a 7 ft 6 in 3 wt rod I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Caenis by Thomas and Thomas. There are also some very nice 3 wt's in shorter lengths. My personal favorite is a 6 ft 9 in I made in 3 sections. I had a rod tube for a 4 piece plastic rod so I looked at what would fit the tube in a 3 piece bamboo. I took a Cattanach taper for a 6 ft 6 in and a 7 ft 3 piece rod and adapted it for 6 ft 9 in. Basically I have a butt from the 6ft 6 in and the tip from the 7 ft and the mid is a prorated version of both. It produced a sweet casting 3 wt that I use on the headwater streams in my part of the world. I have made 4 like it and another rodbuilding buddy copied it and makes it one of his regular rods he makes for sale.

If you want the taper let me know.

Cheers!

Arne

#4 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (canerodscom @ Dec 7 2013, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not think you will be happy with a 9' #3. Either the butt will be so stiff that you wind up with a 6 foot rod with a 3 foot unbending handle, or so wimpy that you can drink a cup of coffee waiting for the loop to unroll while casting. For that matter, I've never cast a nine foot bamboo rod that did not feel excessively heavy, and very few eight and a half foot bamboo rods feel good.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Harry

Thanks Harry,

There's no rain on my parade but rather the sunshine of folks' experiences.

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff Parmer

#5 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (aracane @ Dec 7 2013, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Typically bamboo rods work best in 8 foot and shorter lengths. If you want a 7 ft 6 in 3 wt rod I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Caenis by Thomas and Thomas. There are also some very nice 3 wt's in shorter lengths. My personal favorite is a 6 ft 9 in I made in 3 sections. I had a rod tube for a 4 piece plastic rod so I looked at what would fit the tube in a 3 piece bamboo. I took a Cattanach taper for a 6 ft 6 in and a 7 ft 3 piece rod and adapted it for 6 ft 9 in. Basically I have a butt from the 6ft 6 in and the tip from the 7 ft and the mid is a prorated version of both. It produced a sweet casting 3 wt that I use on the headwater streams in my part of the world. I have made 4 like it and another rodbuilding buddy copied it and makes it one of his regular rods he makes for sale.

If you want the taper let me know.

Cheers!

Arne

Arne,

The taper sounds very sweet and I'd love to have it. I think Harry drove the last nail in the 9' rod coffin.

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff Parmer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users