Photo

Painting on epoxy

4 replies to this topic

#1 StrykerDM

StrykerDM
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:18 AM

I still can't figure out what is better, painting on epoxy on my thread wraps or holding the brush near the wrap and allowing the epoxy to be pulled off. I keep getting inconsistent results. I feel like different sources say different things. Is it epoxy dependent? Do certain epoxies need to be painted on?

#2 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

I use a rod turner running at 18rpm, and a cheap brush I got from Mud Hole.  The speed of the turner makes it easy to see when I have an even application.  Try not to put a big glob on, in the first place, but if you do (we all do, sometimes) you can draw off the surplus and apply it to the next wrap.  Epoxy is self-leveling, so after a minute, the brush marks disappear.   I go for 2 coats, these days.  It just seems to work better than trying to do one perfect coat. 

Some people thin their epoxies, but I don't find that to be necessary. 

After the finish begins to thicken, clean up the edges, and any overage, with DNA on a paper towel.  I also clean my brushes with DNA and reuse them several times, but then I'm known for being a tightwad....

#3 StrykerDM

StrykerDM
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

I must be just putting on too much. I need to try doing 2 real thin applications on this next rod.

#4 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

I apply with a spatula.  Don't try to paint it on, remember you are applying.  I apply it on the guides with the rod turning.  once done I hit it with a bubble buster, then I stop the rod from turning and let it sag.  whisk the sag from the bottom using a spatula or an old credit card.  Start the rod turning again.  If the epoxy doesn't level out where you whisked it, hit it with a bubble buster again.  You should have a nice thin application now.  You might want to start out by only doing one section at a time.  If you are taking too long the epoxy will start to set.  

I use aluminum trays You can hit them with a hair dryer and heat the epoxy up if it starts to set.  Don't do it to much though.

#5 shfishinsticks

shfishinsticks
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

Like Greg, I apply with spatulas. I made mine from those fake credit cards that used to come in the mail. I have many in varying widths to match with wraps of differing lengths. I apply at high speed on my power wrapper. Once all guides are coated, I stop the rod and let it sit so excess epoxy sags on the bottom. I wick it off with the spatula, rotate the rod 180° and repeat.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users