Photo

Quick solution for removing grip from broken rod

6 replies to this topic

#1 FisherQueen

FisherQueen
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

If you're like me, you often spend as much time selecting and shaping grip material as you do wrapping guides. When a rod breaks, it's an easy matter to use a heat gun to remove and salvage the guides and reel seat, but the cork or bark grip is a different question. I've tried boiling the grip in a plastic bag to soften the glue (didn't work), and in a pinch, I've reamed the old rod out, although I split at least one grip that way. Today I hit on a quick and neat solution. I took a 3/16 inch rattail file, tossed it in the wood stove until the end was red hot, removed it with a pair of barbeque tongs, let it cool to its normal color then dropped it into the handle rod section. In less than a minute, the glue holding the pine bark grip to the rod was soft, and I was able to pull the grip right off. I don't know if this would work with a commercial rod glue, especially on a made-in-China rod, but it melted U40 rod bond easily, and left me with a clean grip I can put on a new rod. I see no reason why you couldn't heat the rattail file for the same effect on a stove top, in the oven, or on a barbecue grill if it isn't winter or you don't have a wood stove.

#2 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

A neat solution, but there is one problem. Heating the file like that will anneal the file (make it softer) thus making it useless as a file. Only do that with a file that has become dull. Old chainsaw files would be good candidates....

#3 FisherQueen

FisherQueen
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

Exactly what I used, an old chainsaw file. But good point. And in that vein, on behalf of wives everywhere, I confess that my first try was with a knitting needle (a spare, fortunately), which melted surprisingly quickly. So any of you who are eyeing those knitting needles, don't even think about it!

#4 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

That is along the line of what I have been thinking about the last few days for some reason.

The thought I had was to use an old camp stove percolator. Slip the base into the butt of the rod insert in coffeepot, add water, and perk the handle and/or real seat loose. I haven't tried it but it would get the heat to loosen the glue.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#5 FisherQueen

FisherQueen
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

I like it! I think I have one of those around. I'd like to know if it works. But I am convinced that heating the rod from the inside is the key.

#6 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (FisherQueen @ Dec 27 2013, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like it! I think I have one of those around. I'd like to know if it works. But I am convinced that heating the rod from the inside is the key.

I am sure you are right. Cork and other grip materials make great insulators. The heat has to come from inside the blank.

I would hesitate to use the file method on a blank I wanted to use. Too much heat would be detrimental.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#7 Raven Rods

Raven Rods
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:No where near good fishing water.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Genius! That would even save the prized custom grip from heat damage! I love it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users