Bamboo Rod Do's and Don'ts

38 replies to this topic

#31 Troutgetter

Troutgetter
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

Mark,
I'm with you on that and the super glue is in the first-aide kit for the rod.

I'll say this... while trying to show two guys how to split bamboo, I proceeded to shove my thumb against the froe and cut it clean to the bone.
While explaining to those guys that this is not how it's normally done, I was squirting blood everywhere!
I continued splitting out the half culm until I decided the blood wasn't going to stop. By this time the other guys were standing outside and I was alone. I walked over to the wood lathe and grabbed the bottle of super glue I used for filling gaps in inserts and squeezed some on the cut. A piece of paper towel over the cut and a bit of pressure IMMEDIATELY stopped the bleeding. Unfortunately it didn't repair the nerve damage and my left thumb is still numb to this day. Oh Well. I make Bamboo and if you don't get some blood on every rod, I figure I ain't doing something right!
Super glue is a GREAT first-aide component of your kit.
Now...I ain't no doc, and if you get hurt in the shop or someplace, go see a doc. But maybe until you get there... a squirt of super-glue might be a good thing!
Thanks for the reminder Mark!
Mike
www.FishBamboo.com

#32 Troutgetter

Troutgetter
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:55 AM

Geeze...I go back to make a couple of edits and two posts before I can fix my post! LOL!
Glad to hear you've washed your nose! LOL I should go wash mine I'm sure!
Mike
www.FishBamboo.com

#33 germanbrown

germanbrown
  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

mike - that story made me cringe. sorry to hear about your thumb. my dad is always cutting himself on something or other and uses super glue to seal his wounds all the time. good stuff. luckily i've learned from watching my dad all these years to be a little more careful. thanks for posting the rod first aid kit suggestion. i'll have to put one together to keep in my tackle bag.
"A three or four ounce split bamboo rod, with a well balanced reel, a tapered casting line, a leader of the proper fineness, and a well tied fly, or flies, is one of the most perfectly designed and executed triumphs of human artisanship."

-Bliss Perry

user posted image

#34 millerwb

millerwb
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:55 PM

Chris,

Super Glue that is UNOPENED will freeze/thaw fine with no ill effects. When I buy it in bulk for woodworking (2 oz bottles), I freeze it until I need a new bottle. If it has been opened and partially used, I don't know.

Brian

#35 capachi

capachi
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

nose grease is something I have used for many years for fishing rod ferrules. I was taught to use it when working as an electrical maintainance worker in college on the mail end of light bulbs so they don't corrode inside the socket. The oil builds up within minutes after washing your nose surface as you can tell by pressing your nose against a window and look at the grease spot.

#36 nyflyguy

nyflyguy
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

BELIEVE IT OR NOT....in a peer review DENTAL journal (of my specialty) there was an article published in the "Tips to the Reader" section, regarding the lubrication of an instrument called a "surveyor" (not something used in a patient's mouth)....using....*drumroll*...NOSE OIL

now....has anyone used belly button lint for a strike indicator??

hysterical.gif

#37 U Cake

U Cake
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (skeet3t @ Aug 6 2005, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back in the Stone Age, there was an article in an outdoor magazaine that had a tip on getting a rod apart. Put the rod behind your back. I'm predominately left-handed so this is how I do it: Have the reel end down toward the ground with your right hand on it below the ferrules with the thumb pointed toward the ground. The left hand will be pointed the same direction with your hand above the ferrules. Push with the right and pull with the left. Works great. As to nose grease, rub the rod in the crease between your nose and cheek. If you stick the rod up your nose, you shouldn't be flyfishing or driving a car. Don't worry about people staring...they probably stare as us because we use little dinky rods with little hooks and feathers that won't catch big fish. Let's keep it a secret and let them stare and wonder.
Have to add a tip for pipe smokers: My father used nose grease on the outside of the bowl of his pipe and polish it with a soft cloth.

we use little dinky rods with little hooks and feathers that won't catch big fish.

This made me want to post my Avatar. thumbup.gif

#38 U Cake

U Cake
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (nyflyguy @ Dec 26 2006, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BELIEVE IT OR NOT....in a peer review DENTAL journal (of my specialty) there was an article published in the "Tips to the Reader" section, regarding the lubrication of an instrument called a "surveyor" (not something used in a patient's mouth)....using....*drumroll*...NOSE OIL

now....has anyone used belly button lint for a strike indicator??

hysterical.gif

I haven't, but I do use those foam ear plus from time to time.

#39 henrysforkjunkie

henrysforkjunkie
  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

lots of great stuff in here. Athough I'm not a BOO guy (yet) the guy that taught me to fish 30 years ago was. I learned on an old at that time boo rod. The nose grease, not assembling untill you were on the water, hold behind the knees to take apart, cleaning and drying were gospel to him and would cost me a fishing trip if I missed one. Super glue is always in my first aid kit last year we had to glue a pretty nasty cut on my friends dog's foot up while grouse hunting the vet said he would have done the same. One thing to learn is how to remove fish hooks with a peice of monofilament line you never know when you or some one with you is goin to get STUCK. As far as strike indicators go I have been using water baloons blown up about the size of a grape easy to adjust depth/bouyancy float high in rougher water and very sensitive plus you can get a bunch for a couple of bucks.
someday I"ll get back to BOO but untill then
Tight lines
Ryan
"Do or DO not ... There is no Try"
YODA

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users