Photo

Looking for some advice

3 replies to this topic

#1 GarrettRoss

GarrettRoss
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Stalking fat rainbows gorged on salmon row in alaska all the way to chasing Bull reds on the flats, Cobia on the reefs and big pelagics in the stream. Fly fishing will always hold a special place in my soul, yet I am not a purist. I live to catch fish by any means necessary!

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:55 PM

Hey guys, I've been out of the rod building scene for a while and I need some advice.  I moved from alaska down to coastal Georgia a few years ago, and I'm finally getting my 6-pack license to start my inshore guide business.  I would like to build my own rods for the business, but honestly I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices.  I have an idea what I'm looking for, but its difficult to tell just from product descriptions.  I need a general purpose inshore spinning rod.  I need something that feels like a quality rod, yet will take a little more abuse from careless clients.  The last two rods I built were St. Croix spinning rods, and I love them, however I don't believe they could withstand the average abuse I'm worried will be inflicted.  I also need a workhorse rod, something for big Tarpon, Bull reds, cobia and the prolific sharks we have.  I bought a wright and mcgill flats blue rod Model# WMEBW0F76S1 last year, and its exactly what I'm looking for, just can't find a blank for sale, and don't know where to start in comparison.  thanks in advance for any help guys

BE THE KIND OF PERSON THAT YOU WANT TO MEET

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

Never saw a W&M blank anywhere over the years.  Go to the home page and scroll down to the Sponsors section.  There are some great folks that work with builders.  Check them out and call or email as to what you are looking for.  Welcome to the forum.  Alaska can be warmer than the lower 48 sometimes.  I think you will like SE GA.  Here in SE TN, it was colder than Manchester, New Hampshire.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 GarrettRoss

GarrettRoss
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Stalking fat rainbows gorged on salmon row in alaska all the way to chasing Bull reds on the flats, Cobia on the reefs and big pelagics in the stream. Fly fishing will always hold a special place in my soul, yet I am not a purist. I live to catch fish by any means necessary!

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I'll call around.  I love the saltwater fishing here in Savannah, but I do miss the fall trout and salmon in AK.  

BE THE KIND OF PERSON THAT YOU WANT TO MEET

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

You first need to determine what action, line weight, lure weight,  reel's,  length etc that would best be suited for your application.  Then some of the options would become more feesable to do what you are trying to acheive.  Also, material.  Glass, E glass, S glass, graphite, graphite composite Etc. 

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users