Photo

Spiral Wrapped Flipping Rod?

4 replies to this topic

#1 JMcDEE

JMcDEE
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Im trying to figure out how to spiral wrap the flipping rod Im building. Its a Castaway BB2 blank. Think Im going to do a simple spiral since I wont be casting much with it. I currently have it setup as a size 10 as the stripper and 8's as the transition guides and then 6's to the tip. The transition happens in about 12". the size 10 at 0 degrees a size 8 12" from that at 180 and then anouther size 8 at 90 degrees. Sound about right? Just want to make sure im doing this right

#2 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

12 inchews is about as far as I'd ever go as far as the length from 0 to 180. No need for the 8, use a 6.

#3 JMcDEE

JMcDEE
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. So I could use a 6 as a bumper? So it would go 10-6-6 cont. to the tip, correct? Is there a benefit to using a smaller bumper guide? I'm guessing the idea is to use the smallest guide you can get away with. Just wondering if I'm over thinking this? wallbash.gif

#4 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I would probably use a 10-8-6 arrangement to start. If a couple of 6's will keep the line off the blank, use them. Your biggest concern is to keep the line off the blank in the transition.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#5 JMcDEE

JMcDEE
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I believe I understand now. I'll be sure to post pics when I finish.(It may be awhile, I've been working a lot.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users