Photo

Short Bass/Panfish rod

4 replies to this topic

#1 Canewrap

Canewrap
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

I've taken to fishing a lot of medium to small streams for bass and panfish. This is popper and streamer water and gets tight at times. I've been looking for a 7' 6wt taper to make and have derived a few options, but was wondering if anyone has come up a rod taper that might fit these conditions?

#2 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

A number of years ago, a friend had made this taper:  http://www.canerod.c...crosssylph.html

The darned thing would handle any line between a 5 and a 7.

Tim

#3 Canewrap

Canewrap
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

Hey Tim,

Thanks, I've seen that taper in the past and wondered how well it would work, since I've never had anyone recommend it. I think I'll give it a try, especially since I won't have to wait for the plastic shims to arrive before I start in on finish planning.

-Bill

#4 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

I have a 7 foot 3-piece 6-wt taper for a Quad, if that interests you.... :)

I had somewhat the same problem, a couple of years ago, and solved it rather nicely, I think.  I needed something for the white bass run on the Eno, but would also be adequate for bass in the Neuse.  The rod I came up with has a stiffer tip, so it can control heavy lures, both in the air and in the water, but, on the other hand, it is a little lighter in the mid-section to make it a more moderate action that roll casts well. 

#5 Canewrap

Canewrap
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Sent you a private message. I am set up to do quads and would be very interested.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users