Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:37 PM
I did substantially better with this set than the olive pen.
This lathe is simply TOO much fun!
Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:58 PM
I didn't on the first one, but my wife likes it so that is what counts. I tried it with this set because I wanted some shape to it.
I have a bunch of duck call parts coming, too. I am going to have to try some laminated stuff there. Does anyone have pictures of any duck calls they have done?
Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:08 PM
Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:52 PM
The one on the left is made from Jobillo, the middle is made from Mora and the right one is Bubinga. The left and middle bowls have a neodymium magnet recessed and glued in the bottom to hold hooks and things without the fear of spilling them in case it tips over. It works really well. I was able to put a dozen flies in it and flip it upside down with a little shaking and didnt drop any....yet they pull away from the bowl very easy......The bottoms are covered in felt and the bowls are finished with 3 coats of Tung oil buffing with 0000 steel wool in between coats.
Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:38 PM
I took a one pint wide mouth canning jar and drilled a hole in the lid. It turns out that a tube from a 7mm pen kit is just the right size for the hose from my hand pump vacuum brake bleeder. I stuck the pen tube through the middle of the lid after cleaning paint off to get nice lean metal. I also roughed up the tube a bit. The tube is stuck in place with a bit of 5 min Devcon epoxy filleted in top and bottom.
Once the epoxy was set, I filled the jar about halfway with polyurethane and dropped the cut and drilled pieces of spalted apple in, hooked up the hose and started pumping. Once I got to 20 inches of vacuum, the wood was foaming as the air was sucked out. I let it set for about an hour. I had to pump once or twice to keep the vacuum up at 20 inches, but it never dropped below 19 inches as it was. Once the bubbles had stopped, I released the vacuum, but did not remove the hose to the bleeder, and let things sit for 24 hours. This reversed things and normal air pressure shoved the polyurethane into the wood.
I then took it all apart, poured the remaining polyurethane back in the can, cleaned the jar, and hung the wood up to dry, making sure there was something under it to catch drips.
I let it hang until I could not smell the polyurethane anymore which was about a week. That was enough as I never did smell the poly as I was turning the pen.
There was a significant increase in the weight of the blanks. It really sucked a lot of polyurethane into the wood.
I do have a gallon pickle jar but am trying to refurbish the seal on the lid as it won't hold vacuum. The pint jar worked great with the exception of having to clean it.
Reply to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users