Reel seat and grip won't fit

reel seat grip

9 replies to this topic

#1 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

I got a pre-made grip from someone on the forum several eons ago.  It is cork with wood on each end and recessed at the back end.  I found a use for it.  However, there is a dilemma.  The recess in the back of the is deeper than the depth of the part on the reel seat (not sure of the terminology for it) plus the recess is a hair larger that the diameter of the reel seat part.  So I have a bit of a space around the assembled seat and grip.  I put a couple of wraps of masking tape to center the grip but that didn't help much.  Any advice is appreciated.

I would like to build a rod where something didn't rear up and bite me on the butt! :(

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

As long as the ID is no larger than the overall OD of the hood, just use a tape arbor to come to size. Depth is of no consequence

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:01 AM

The ID of the grip end is slightly larger than the OD of the hood.  You can see a small gap around the grip end.  I think I'll just make a new grip so the hood and the grip will fit nicely.  Thanks, Ron.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#4 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:42 AM

You could cut a cork bushing/filler to fit in the gap

John A.

#5 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

I'm going to make a new grip.  Have a good selection of quality cork and some decorative rings that would go with the overall theme of the rod.

John T.

#6 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

length of grip ??? cut it off the hole an make a new hole you will only loose a half inch  an finish it the way you want,  

or as you said make a new one as you have  the rings ,    cut the hole off an put a new ring on an finish it off the way you want 

as you said save the grip for a later project it might fit  

#7 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

length of grip ??? cut it off the hole an make a new hole you will only loose a half inch  an finish it the way you want,  

or as you said make a new one as you have  the rings ,    cut the hole off an put a new ring on an finish it off the way you want 

as you said save the grip for a later project it might fit  

Its a premade grip with faux wood on each end of it.  Basically like this I'm sure

Quickline%2010%205wt_zpsm5mzwdpb.jpg

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#8 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Very similar, Ron.  Wonder what reel seat that it was designed for.

I'm just going to make a new grip.  That way, I can control all the dimensions.  I'm going to drill the rings out to 5/16 which is slightly smaller than the diameter of the blank in front of the grip.  I'll glue them on a 5/16 threaded rod.  This way I cut down on the reaming time which is boring and tedious and messy.  I have another blank that I might put the wood/cork grip on and sell it.

John T.

#9 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

John ... have a pair of calipers?

Measure the inside diameter of the hole and we could probably put you in the ballpark for what reel seat the hole was drilled for
“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#10 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Got started on a new grip.  Will set the grip aside for later use.  I have a 9 ft. 5 wt. blank that I might put together with the grip and try to sell to local fly flingers.

John T.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reel seat, grip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users