Photo

Advice On Balnk Choice

2 replies to this topic

#1 FCPO200

FCPO200
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Have just got interested in the idea of building my own rod, so like many newbies, turning to the experienced people of this board for advice/help. I have read a lot of what is posted here on blank choices, but don't see exactly the questions I would like to get some help with. As way of background I fish mostly the saltwater flats around Tampa Bay, for sea trout, red fish snook etc, using mainly DOA plastics with 1/8 to 3/8 oz jigheads and Rapala 2/12 to 4 inch topwaters. I presently use four rods: two G. Loomis TFO 7 1/2 Ft, M/6-12lb line: a Dobyns 7 FT Medium/Light Fast 6-12lb line, and a Hurricane 7 ft. So with all that said, I now want to try a 8 footer with med/light action, and after doing a lot of reading have decide to try making it.

The biggest question at this point is, what blank would be suitable? I am leaning towards a Lamiglas XLS 983 which is 8'2" long, rated for 8-15 lb line, of IM graphite construction. I intend on putting a split handle with American Tackle Microwave guides.

Any suggestions advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

GD

#2 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

I think you've made a good choice.

#3 FCPO200

FCPO200
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Washougal @ Jan 26 2014, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you've made a good choice.

Thank you for the encouragement, but after a little more "research" I think I'm going to use the Batson XP963.
From what I can see it has good reviews and the spec's, fit what I want it for.

Regards

FCPO

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users